Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
There is no way anyone could convince me that ff is easier than bf! Last night I did the dishes, made dinner and nursed ds all at the same time (love my babyhawk, btw)!! Couldnt have done that with a bottle, lol!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Replies (151-160):
Autumn355
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:25 PM
now THAT is nursing and multi-tasking!!! Puts my dishes & diner to shame!! LMAO!!

Btw, what do you do that allows you to have baby and nurse while working?

Quoting Amberleigh81:

I understand the bad back thing... that would make it harder to babywear.

I actually have a very tight schedule as well... I am a fulltime nursing student and I work. My mom watches my son while I am in class, but study time, academic fraternity meetings, school Senate meetings AND work means my son and I are on the go! I wear him at meetings and while I work. I've even nursed him while working and while presenting at the Senate! I have found that, by wearing him and nursing him on demand, I have given him confidence! He is super adventerous, because he always knows he has a solid "home base" in mommy if he needs me! :)
Quoting fullxbusymom:

I can't always work anything around the baby because I have 3 older kids 15, 14, & 6yrs old and their schedules have to be followed to the letter.

I can't babywear I have a very bad back w/this one and babywearing for more than 15mins throws my back out to the point I can barely move or even lift my son. So I have to be very careful and honestly babywearing was NEVER for me. I never had a need or desire. I simply would put them in whatever room I was in with some toys but nope not a fan of carrying my baby all the time, it is good for them to be able to be on their own for short spurts of time.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Babywearing IS natural. Humans have been doing it forever! I hear all the time "I wish they'd had stuff like that when my baby was little" when I am out and about wearing my son.

What kind of carrier do you have? When my son was wee little, I had a Moby. I had to watch some YouTube videos and practice to make it work, but I was able to get it, and nursed all the time in it! (My son nursed 90 minute sessions...)

Now, I use an Ergo or a ring sling, depending on the occasion and what I want to carry (the ring sling packs smaller for public transportation). I had to watch videos and read the booklets on those, too.

Also, I always found it easy to plan my shopping or chores around nursing. It gave me a chance to sit and get a drink or coffee during the day. :)

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Ya well my baby nurses for a twenty minutes to a half hour every 2-3hrs. Every single time. I honestly don't know anyone that has ever sterilized water everyone here just uses tap water. Umm baby wearing isn't natural, cosleeping does not work for us...I can not sleep with any child in my bed. So that doesn't help me that makes matter worse. Also I don't baby wear well it hurts my body, I hurt the baby by hitting his head off walls, the counter etc. It doesn't work.

FYI I do feed in public I don't hide away I simply have to sit in order to feed him so that makes things far harder to be trying to walk around the mall, shopping etc.

My baby took to bf'ing like a champ never had an issue latching, never hurt me nothing. It still is so much easier to formula feed in my opinion.

Quoting silka08:

This would be a personal carryout difference vs ff and bf ease. Its also baby dependent.

If bottles are prepped to WHO(world health organization) standards the water is to be sterilized via boiling to sterilize the powdered formula.

My children nursed just 10mins evert 2-3hrs. Thats much easier than boiling, washing and feeding the bottle. Certainly they have moments they feed more often, but its still easier in the overall.

I dont miss out bevause I dont seclude myself. I wear two shirts, a tank and a T or sweater. I pull the tank down and the T up and 9/10 no one even knows im feeding and they have even been close enough to touch the baby.

Choosing not to babywear, co-sleep, secluding oneself are cultural burderns of BFing, not natural burdens. Most cultures women feed w/o thinking twice while out for coffee, in a store, etc. Choosing not to prepare via WHO standards is also a false ease of FF.

Also, every baby is different. Ceryainly the numerous babies with gastric issues or allergies would not be easoer to formula. Maybe a baby with a medical condition making latching difficult and inefficient might seem easier to bottlefeed. There are a lot of personal, cultural and baby specific reasons why one migjt find FF or BF easier.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

It is a million times easier to FF than BF. I have done both and I got to tell ya, being strapped down every time my 7mo old wants to nurse when you have 3 other kids is horrible. If formula wasn't so expensive I would have formula fed a million times over than have ever breastfed. It is literally one of the hardest most draining things I have ever done as a mother and I don't necessarily think it was worth it.

Put 2 scoops of formula in a bottle, turn the tap on shake and by 7 mo's heck by 5mo's they were completely holding the bottle 100% on their own. Way, Way, Way easier. When we went out I simply turned the tap on hot put some hot water in a bottle. Threw it in the bag and had some premeasured formula that I could dump in it, shake and hand it to them. vs. Bf'ing where you have to find a spot to sit and be all discreet, and then miss half of the fun with the rest of your family because you had to feed the baby.

Oh I don't baby wear I am uncomfortable, slam the babies head off everything, my body aches. Nope can't do it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Eh I never sterilized bottles or bottles either. No need other than the first time they were used.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Its not the WATER thats the issue, its the actual formula, powdered formula is NOT sterile and this bacteria can bein it.  Has nothing to do with the water, but using boiled water sterilizes the powdered formula.

Good for the daycares near you, but I have worked at 6 different school in the area and do daycare pickup in the afternoons and often see 6 month olds in high back boosters, and kids under the age of 8 in nothing but seatbelt..law here is 8 and 80lbs to be out of a booster.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Okay, Our water is treated already we don't have contaminated or well water. Also NO daycare around here doesn't use car seats if they are private vehicles the only time they can do it is if it is a bus and even then if they are 3 or younger they are all put in car seats.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

WHO recommends boiling the water, powdered infant formula is not sterile and can contain viruses and bacteria it is particularly dangerous for preemies and babies with low immune systems.  It SHOULD be boiled, doesnt have to be but SHOULD as far as safety.

Just because your kids are fine and daycares did it doesnt make it safe.  How many daycares dont usae carseats on their vans when they pick up afterschool? TONS. DOes that make it safe? nope

Quoting fullxbusymom:

No it doesn't and no one here does and even my pediatrician knew that. My kids all are safe and healthy so are every one of my 20yrs worth of daycare kids that everyone was done the same way by myself and their parents. Feel free to get off your high horse now.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

congratulations for improperly mixing formula. The water must be boiled to kill off all the bacteria and viruses living in the powdered formula since IT CAN'T BE STERILIZED.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

It is a million times easier to FF than BF. I have done both and I got to tell ya, being strapped down every time my 7mo old wants to nurse when you have 3 other kids is horrible. If formula wasn't so expensive I would have formula fed a million times over than have ever breastfed. It is literally one of the hardest most draining things I have ever done as a mother and I don't necessarily think it was worth it.

Put 2 scoops of formula in a bottle, turn the tap on shake and by 7 mo's heck by 5mo's they were completely holding the bottle 100% on their own. Way, Way, Way easier. When we went out I simply turned the tap on hot put some hot water in a bottle. Threw it in the bag and had some premeasured formula that I could dump in it, shake and hand it to them. vs. Bf'ing where you have to find a spot to sit and be all discreet, and then miss half of the fun with the rest of your family because you had to feed the baby.

Oh I don't baby wear I am uncomfortable, slam the babies head off everything, my body aches. Nope can't do it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM
I mean or pacifiers.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Eh I never sterilized bottles or bottles either. No need other than the first time they were used.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Its not the WATER thats the issue, its the actual formula, powdered formula is NOT sterile and this bacteria can bein it.  Has nothing to do with the water, but using boiled water sterilizes the powdered formula.

Good for the daycares near you, but I have worked at 6 different school in the area and do daycare pickup in the afternoons and often see 6 month olds in high back boosters, and kids under the age of 8 in nothing but seatbelt..law here is 8 and 80lbs to be out of a booster.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Okay, Our water is treated already we don't have contaminated or well water. Also NO daycare around here doesn't use car seats if they are private vehicles the only time they can do it is if it is a bus and even then if they are 3 or younger they are all put in car seats.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

WHO recommends boiling the water, powdered infant formula is not sterile and can contain viruses and bacteria it is particularly dangerous for preemies and babies with low immune systems.  It SHOULD be boiled, doesnt have to be but SHOULD as far as safety.

Just because your kids are fine and daycares did it doesnt make it safe.  How many daycares dont usae carseats on their vans when they pick up afterschool? TONS. DOes that make it safe? nope

Quoting fullxbusymom:

No it doesn't and no one here does and even my pediatrician knew that. My kids all are safe and healthy so are every one of my 20yrs worth of daycare kids that everyone was done the same way by myself and their parents. Feel free to get off your high horse now.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

congratulations for improperly mixing formula. The water must be boiled to kill off all the bacteria and viruses living in the powdered formula since IT CAN'T BE STERILIZED.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:31 PM
My son has all that too and has me whenever he needs me. I also bf on demand I just don't babywear.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

I actually have a very tight schedule as well... I am a fulltime nursing student and I work. My mom watches my son while I am in class, but study time, academic fraternity meetings, school Senate meetings AND work means my son and I are on the go! I wear him at meetings and while I work. I've even nursed him while working and while presenting at the Senate! I have found that, by wearing him and nursing him on demand, I have given him confidence! He is super adventerous, because he always knows he has a solid "home base" in mommy if he needs me! :)
Quoting fullxbusymom:

I can't always work anything around the baby because I have 3 older kids 15, 14, & 6yrs old and their schedules have to be followed to the letter.

I can't babywear I have a very bad back w/this one and babywearing for more than 15mins throws my back out to the point I can barely move or even lift my son. So I have to be very careful and honestly babywearing was NEVER for me. I never had a need or desire. I simply would put them in whatever room I was in with some toys but nope not a fan of carrying my baby all the time, it is good for them to be able to be on their own for short spurts of time.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Babywearing IS natural. Humans have been doing it forever! I hear all the time "I wish they'd had stuff like that when my baby was little" when I am out and about wearing my son.

What kind of carrier do you have? When my son was wee little, I had a Moby. I had to watch some YouTube videos and practice to make it work, but I was able to get it, and nursed all the time in it! (My son nursed 90 minute sessions...)

Now, I use an Ergo or a ring sling, depending on the occasion and what I want to carry (the ring sling packs smaller for public transportation). I had to watch videos and read the booklets on those, too.

Also, I always found it easy to plan my shopping or chores around nursing. It gave me a chance to sit and get a drink or coffee during the day. :)

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Ya well my baby nurses for a twenty minutes to a half hour every 2-3hrs. Every single time. I honestly don't know anyone that has ever sterilized water everyone here just uses tap water. Umm baby wearing isn't natural, cosleeping does not work for us...I can not sleep with any child in my bed. So that doesn't help me that makes matter worse. Also I don't baby wear well it hurts my body, I hurt the baby by hitting his head off walls, the counter etc. It doesn't work.

FYI I do feed in public I don't hide away I simply have to sit in order to feed him so that makes things far harder to be trying to walk around the mall, shopping etc.

My baby took to bf'ing like a champ never had an issue latching, never hurt me nothing. It still is so much easier to formula feed in my opinion.

Quoting silka08:

This would be a personal carryout difference vs ff and bf ease. Its also baby dependent.

If bottles are prepped to WHO(world health organization) standards the water is to be sterilized via boiling to sterilize the powdered formula.

My children nursed just 10mins evert 2-3hrs. Thats much easier than boiling, washing and feeding the bottle. Certainly they have moments they feed more often, but its still easier in the overall.

I dont miss out bevause I dont seclude myself. I wear two shirts, a tank and a T or sweater. I pull the tank down and the T up and 9/10 no one even knows im feeding and they have even been close enough to touch the baby.

Choosing not to babywear, co-sleep, secluding oneself are cultural burderns of BFing, not natural burdens. Most cultures women feed w/o thinking twice while out for coffee, in a store, etc. Choosing not to prepare via WHO standards is also a false ease of FF.

Also, every baby is different. Ceryainly the numerous babies with gastric issues or allergies would not be easoer to formula. Maybe a baby with a medical condition making latching difficult and inefficient might seem easier to bottlefeed. There are a lot of personal, cultural and baby specific reasons why one migjt find FF or BF easier.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Fine just doesn't feel natural to me.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

I can't babywear I have a very bad back w/this one and babywearing for more than 15mins throws my back out to the point I can barely move or even lift my son. So I have to be very careful and honestly babywearing was NEVER for me. I never had a need or desire. I simply would put them in whatever room I was in with some toys but nope not a fan of carrying my baby all the time, it is good for them to be able to be on their own for short spurts of time. but this doesnt mean its not natural, just that it doesnt work for you!

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting silka08:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:35 PM
I work retail at a paint -your -own - pottery store... my parents own it, so I have an "in" with management LOL, but most of the time I am running it alone with no other staff, so if we're busy (hello Christmas season!) and my son's hungry, in the Ergo he goes with the sunhood on and I am helping people paint and stencil and stamp and...

Quoting Autumn355:

now THAT is nursing and multi-tasking!!! Puts my dishes & diner to shame!! LMAO!!

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting silka08:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:36 PM
I work there so my mom gets a break in exchange for her watching my son while I'm in class... it's a barter system so she doesn't get burnt out. :)

Quoting Amberleigh81:

I work retail at a paint -your -own - pottery store... my parents own it, so I have an "in" with management LOL, but most of the time I am running it alone with no other staff, so if we're busy (hello Christmas season!) and my son's hungry, in the Ergo he goes with the sunhood on and I am helping people paint and stencil and stamp and...

Quoting Autumn355:

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting silka08:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn355
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:37 PM
boiling the water is correct and necessary. Just because its treated or filtered or even bottled, doesnt make it safe. Our water systems are seriously polluted to the point of contaminating fish and killing off coral and other sea life. Plus with babys virgin gut and formula, not boiling is taking an unecessary risk. Now im not pointing fingers or saying anyones being neglectful or anything. Just informing. Thats what we are all here for, to learn from eachother and share wonderful stories and personal triumphs.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Not saying your son doesn't ... :) My son is a total "hold me" baby, so I would DIE without babywearing. In fact, I developed DeQuervain's tendonitis, aka "mommy wrist", before I learned the art of babywearing. :)

My son hated swings, bouncers, his carseat... I wished I could have put him down sometimes, but that's the way the cookie crumbles!
Quoting fullxbusymom:

My son has all that too and has me whenever he needs me. I also bf on demand I just don't babywear.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting silka08:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM
My oldest kids are 15, 14 & 6 so it is irrelevant as I bf mt 7 mo old.

Quoting Autumn355:

boiling the water is correct and necessary. Just because its treated or filtered or even bottled, doesnt make it safe. Our water systems are seriously polluted to the point of contaminating fish and killing off coral and other sea life. Plus with babys virgin gut and formula, not boiling is taking an unecessary risk. Now im not pointing fingers or saying anyones being neglectful or anything. Just informing. Thats what we are all here for, to learn from eachother and share wonderful stories and personal triumphs.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN