Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Should I be able to keep up?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM
  • 6 Replies
I feel like this is a dumb question, but I'm asking any way, lol. Ds is 9 Weeks old & this is the first time I've been truly dedicated to bf. My question is as he gets older will my body make more milk to the point of engorgement, or does it just add more nutrients to my milk. Does he always get the same amount no matter his age? Right now, due to oversupply in the beginning, he only.nurses one breast per session. Should that change when he's older? Sorry it's scattered, I just wonder how it will be as he grows.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ptowncards05
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Yes your milk will change as he grows, being engorged is not a good thing. As far as only nursing on one side he may or may not take both sides, sometimes my DS does and sometimes its just one side.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Just go with it. Milk will change in composition mostly, though around times of increased demand you may find a greater volume of milk.

Your body is designed to feed your child in this manner. Just keep BF and trust your body to do the rest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:26 PM

The milk will change  :)   Once your supply regulates, engorgement shouldn't be an issue unless you skip feedings, which is not reccomended.  I've been nursing for going on 6 years, and only rarely have any of my kids nursed from both sides at any given feeding  :)  Other moms find that, especially during growth spurts, their babies might switch sides a couple of times.  He'll let you know  :)

RadnRem
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Like the other ladies said....the composition of the milk will change to meet your growing babies needs. More concentrated fat and nutrients! So, no..the amount he takes in will not increase. Same amount no matter the age.

My soon if 5 months old and ha always nursed on just one side due to oversupply. I don't know if that will change in the future or not but I figure if he ever acts like he might need the second breast...I'll offer and go from there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autumn_sunset
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Thank you ladies! I love this group :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM
You are at the point where the milk amount stays the same. The composition if the milk changes to meet the changing needs of your baby. He may continue nursing on I've side per feeding or he might sometimes want both sides. I just followed my son's cues. He knew what he needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)