Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Mastitis?? Please help!!

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:26 PM
  • 2 Replies

Ok, so I nursed my first son for 19 months so I felt very good about nursing our second but it seems like it has been one thing after another...

I had to have an emergency c-section last thursday so that in itself has been a lot to adjust to. Then about 2 days ago my breasts got sore and this was several days after my milk came in and I didn't remember the discomfort with my first son. Then my nipples starting hurting really bad when he nursed and with my first I had a problem with yeast infection in my breasts. Both myself and my 1 week old had to have antibiotics after delivery in fear of infection so my thinking was that I got a yeast infection in my breasts again. This morning I now have a vaginal yeast infection.... My breasts are more sore and I am not feeling very good this evening, very achy and getting the chills.... I don't have any hard areas on my breast that would be a clogged duct but I will say that after he nurses my breasts usually feel a little better but are still achy and warm. The nipples are much worse tonight. I need any advice on if this sounds like mastitis and a yeast infection or just mastitis or not.... I have already spoke to the doctor but I wanted to see what other mothers who nurse thought. I know that mastitis usually only happens in one breast but I know it is possible that it could happen in both. I had a bra on that was a little snug which may have started this. Is a heating pad ok to put on them to help with the discomfort? I am so stressed out about this because I do not want to formula feed...... Please help ladies!!

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Antibiotics can cause thrush. I would get probiotics and gentian violet. You could have the beginnings of mastitis too. For that, you need to nurse constantly and pump if you have one. The heating pad would be fine. Heat is one of the things recommended.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM

What she said! ^

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN