Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I gave birth to my second son 3 weeks ago and the past week has been hell for me. I feel if he is not nursing he is crying to be nursed again. He is constantly eating and making my nipples chapped. When he was born we had a hard time latching which in turn made me crack severaly. We finally got it done and I am healing but it still hurts and bein that he nurses so often I am becoming chapped. I don't understand why he is nursing so much. He is offered both sides and eats 20+ minutes on each side and falls asleep and stops nursing. But as soon as i put it away he wants more or 30 minutes later he wants to eat again. I get so frustrated and I know that doesn't help. I am doing all things possible to keep my cool and not give him formula but getting to the point where I should so I can get some rest and get things done. Any advise?

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Replies (11-14):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Take a look at this article. In it you'll find a link to finding a good frenotomy surgeon in your area (docs who clip tongue ties)
mama02040608
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:23 AM
Having pain and the constant nursing (while the frequent nursing *can* be normal) are signs that the tie needs to be clipped.

Quoting lovefamily4:

He actually is tongue tied but his pediatrician said that it is not bad enough to have to get clipped unless his latching isn't getting better. Since it is or seems to be I want to avoid the procedure at all costs since it won't affect his speech or anything. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Quoting lovefamily4:

I gave birth to my second son 3 weeks ago and the past week has been hell for me.

**smile** It's a feature of the age. We have one mom here who says she'd rather nurse a honey badger than deal with a three week old.

This is the phase that makes you wish our babies could be born like Athena, springing fully grown from our foreheads!

I feel if he is not nursing he is crying to be nursed again. He is constantly eating and making my nipples chapped.

Breastmilk on the nipples can help relieve that. Or olive oil.

When he was born we had a hard time latching which in turn made me crack severaly. We finally got it done and I am healing but it still hurts and bein that he nurses so often I am becoming chapped. I don't understand why he is nursing so much.

Welcome to the first big growth spurt.

He is offered both sides and eats 20+ minutes on each side and falls asleep and stops nursing. But as soon as i put it away he wants more or 30 minutes later he wants to eat again. I get so frustrated and I know that doesn't help. I am doing all things possible to keep my cool and not give him formula but getting to the point where I should so I can get some rest and get things done. Any advise?

This is one of those "roll with it" things. It DOES pass. It's normal.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Get that tongue tie clipped asap!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)