Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I really need some input mommas!

Posted by   + Show Post
In two weeks my husband and I were going to go to his university for homecoming. It's 3 hours away. We used to live there only a few months ago. He graduated in may. Anyway, DHs grandmother watches our 4 yr old DD a lot so she offered to watch her while we go. She said you should leave your other one too. He will be 11 months in a couple days. My DH is like yeah we should! We owe it to ourselves to have a night out to ourselves with no kids. We haven't had that at all since he was born.

Well, he nurses very often. Like he is no where close to weaning and that's fine with me. I've never really pumped and fed him from a bottle. He still nurses frequently throughout the night.

What the heck do I do!? Of course it would be fun to go by ourselves. We would be going to a football game and we wouldn't have to worry bout fussy kids. But I am so so so worried!

Would he be okay? We would only stay one night if I left him. Have you done this before?

And it has nothing to do with not trusting my MIL she is wonderful with our kids and very nurturing. So it's nothing bout that.

I just need some input :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Replies (21-26):
back40mama
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM

If you feel uncomfortable, don't do it. Also I personally wouldn't start him on a bottle if he hasn't used one yet. They are not needed if you can use a sippy. It might be something extra to have to ween him from.

Having time for just you and him is neede but I'm sure he would understand if you just couldn't bare to be without him on an over night. It's a hard one especially being co sleepers like myself.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM
sounds like u have a great babysitter! :) well...whatever u decide Im sure it will work out just fine.

Quoting Keeely07:

I know he will wake up. I do cosleep and I know she would put him in bed with her lol.

There was one time we went on a date and I let her use rice milk. She got him to sleep while laying with him and he woke up and she gave him the sippy with milk and he did exactly what he would if it was a boob lol

Quoting Precious333:

also how do u think he will do at night? do u cosleep?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Keeely07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Ohhh okay gotcha. Hmm...I don't know anyone that would :( my SIL is 15...but she's an annoying brat. I don't want her with us the whole time lol

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

It basically means having someone with you whose focus is the baby - like bringing a babysitter with you.

Quoting Keeely07:

I don't understand the baby wrangler term....

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

From what you've said, HE will do fine if you go - - the question is if YOU will  :)   If it's something you're not quite ready for, I agree with the baby wrangler suggestion.  I did that with my son when he was 7 months old - my sister came with and kept him entertained and cared for, but I could still nurse him every few hours and all night. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

If she's the only person who's available and that's the route you want to go, keep in mind that she doesn't have to actually be WITH you the whole time - for instance, if you're spending the night in a hotel, have her stay there with him while you go to the game, OR bring her to the game but have her walk around with baby while you sit in the stands. 

We brought help with us to the fair this year - she was 15, we didn't pay her, but we bought her ticket and paid for food while there.  She handled potty breaks for the older kids, strolled around with the napping baby while we took the big kids on the rides, etc.  It was win-win, because she didn't want to pay to go to the fair, so she got to see stuff and we had an set of eyes and hands  :)

Quoting Keeely07:

Ohhh okay gotcha. Hmm...I don't know anyone that would :( my SIL is 15...but she's an annoying brat. I don't want her with us the whole time lol

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

It basically means having someone with you whose focus is the baby - like bringing a babysitter with you.

Quoting Keeely07:

I don't understand the baby wrangler term....

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

From what you've said, HE will do fine if you go - - the question is if YOU will  :)   If it's something you're not quite ready for, I agree with the baby wrangler suggestion.  I did that with my son when he was 7 months old - my sister came with and kept him entertained and cared for, but I could still nurse him every few hours and all night. 

Tia84201
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:49 AM

I would start getting him used to a bottle and leave him alone with DH's grandma for a few hours at a time to see how they both handle it.  that could be a scary thing for him if he's not used to being away from you for very long.

brittanyx22
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:02 AM
It seems like he will be fine. Pump some and leave it in a sippy just like you had MIL do with't be rice milk. She seems to be prepared and ok to cosleep. Now you have to decide if you're ready or not. And it's ok if you're not! But it's also ok if you are! I went away overnight when my DD was 6 months old. I was a wreck. I called my mom what seemed like every hour. I left very early.in the morning and went back home. I tried again after my daughter turned 1. It was a much better esperience! She's older now, fully on solids, etc. I just wasn't ready at 6mos. I'm going away for a night for my birthday in two weeks. She will be 15 months and I know she'll be ok :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN