Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I really need some input mommas!

Posted by   + Show Post
In two weeks my husband and I were going to go to his university for homecoming. It's 3 hours away. We used to live there only a few months ago. He graduated in may. Anyway, DHs grandmother watches our 4 yr old DD a lot so she offered to watch her while we go. She said you should leave your other one too. He will be 11 months in a couple days. My DH is like yeah we should! We owe it to ourselves to have a night out to ourselves with no kids. We haven't had that at all since he was born.

Well, he nurses very often. Like he is no where close to weaning and that's fine with me. I've never really pumped and fed him from a bottle. He still nurses frequently throughout the night.

What the heck do I do!? Of course it would be fun to go by ourselves. We would be going to a football game and we wouldn't have to worry bout fussy kids. But I am so so so worried!

Would he be okay? We would only stay one night if I left him. Have you done this before?

And it has nothing to do with not trusting my MIL she is wonderful with our kids and very nurturing. So it's nothing bout that.

I just need some input :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
nellyb118
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM
My ds is 11 months also, very similar...ebf no bottles & nurses at night often. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving him because I know he wouldn't take a bottle and would be a big grouch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM
He might. But I'm a big believer in not giving everything up for kids. You need couple time and mommy time every once in a while. I coslept and night nursed and still felt ok leaving them overnight rarely.

Quoting Keeely07:

You think he will cry a lot? Or freak out? Lol

Quoting mama02040608:

I'd do it. I did do it when my youngest was 6mo. Pump what you can and leave solids for baby. It will be fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Do it if you feel right about it, see if you can pump anything and leave a bottle and a sippy for it, tell MIL to feed solids and offer a bottle/sippy with that.  If a bottle is refused or not finished it can be left at room temp and reheated to be offered 4 hour later..no longer than that.

I would take atleast a manual pump with me just in case

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Is baby close to her? has he been left with her before?

How do you feel? Do you really WANT to go and be away from him overnight or do you feel like you SHOULD want to go.

If you don't feel ready, then don't feel obligated. If you feel ready and baby is already comfortabel with her, then go.

mama02040608
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM
This puts it best.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Is baby close to her? has he been left with her before?

How do you feel? Do you really WANT to go and be away from him overnight or do you feel like you SHOULD want to go.

If you don't feel ready, then don't feel obligated. If you feel ready and baby is already comfortabel with her, then go.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

The babies ALWAYS do better than the moms do. I traveled quite heavily for business while mine was a nursling, for ten days at a time. Never ONE freakout, never one problem. 

And he was a big night nurser up to age two.

Baby... not a worry at all as long as he knows the caregiver. Cross that off your list.

Worry about YOU. Bring a pump. Use it regularly. Or you'll be hurting.

And fair warning: The one time we took a no-child trip... we hated not having him with us.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:46 PM
I couldn't do it. I would not be able to enjoy myself at all! I would be too worried that not having his booby all night would stress him out too much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM

From what you've said, HE will do fine if you go - - the question is if YOU will  :)   If it's something you're not quite ready for, I agree with the baby wrangler suggestion.  I did that with my son when he was 7 months old - my sister came with and kept him entertained and cared for, but I could still nurse him every few hours and all night. 

Keeely07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM
I don't understand the baby wrangler term....

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

From what you've said, HE will do fine if you go - - the question is if YOU will  :)   If it's something you're not quite ready for, I agree with the baby wrangler suggestion.  I did that with my son when he was 7 months old - my sister came with and kept him entertained and cared for, but I could still nurse him every few hours and all night. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:19 PM
It basically means having someone with you whose focus is the baby - like bringing a babysitter with you.

Quoting Keeely07:

I don't understand the baby wrangler term....

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)