Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

BM for ear infections?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM
  • 8 Replies
I think I remember reading that you can treat an ear infection with breast milk. Is that accurate?
I'm almost positive my 5 month old has one and I'd like to treat it without antibiotics if possible. I am going to pick up am otoscope at walmart tomorrow, just to be certain its his ear that is the problem.

So...can I use breast milk? And if so, what are the application steps?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Yup. Just squirt some in there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
connorsmama06
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Yes I do it to everyone in my home! My kids always get them. So I put some in a cup the drop it in the ear. In the last 7 months that I have nursed they have not had one!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM

absolutely  :) 

RadnRem
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Lol, that sounds simple enough.

How often though? Just a few times a day? And does it have to be fresh in order to work? just wondering of I should pump a little of fresh milk into a cup for my dh to use when I'm at work monday. Or if the refrigerated milk he uses for bottles would suffice?

Quoting ceckyl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyndiesmommy
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I am so glad you asked this! I wa going to post the same question.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM
I would do it before babe nurses on that side every time so that at least he's Laying still with that ear up for a bit. You can't over do it. I'm sure over the weekend should clear it up.

Quoting RadnRem:

How often though? Just a few times a day? And does it have to be fresh in order to work? just wondering of I should pump a little of fresh milk into a cup for my dh to use when I'm at work monday. Or if the refrigerated milk he uses for bottles would suffice?

Quoting ceckyl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RadnRem
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Thanks!
I hope it clears up that quickly....that would be a blessed miracle, lol!

Quoting ceckyl:

I would do it before babe nurses on that side every time so that at least he's Laying still with that ear up for a bit. You can't over do it. I'm sure over the weekend should clear it up.

Quoting RadnRem:

Quoting ceckyl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Breastmilk in the ear is not going to cure anything and you can't necessarily "see" an ear infection with an otoscope. But the act of nursing is the best medicine and you can nurse more frequently until its resolved! (I'm an audiologist)

The reason it doesn't work is because this age most ear infections are middle ear infections behind the ear drum. Breastmilk in the ear could treat an outer ear infection, like swimmers ear, but not middle ear. The only way to treat a middle ear infection is to open the Eustachian tube and reduce swelling in the sinuses. If you want to squirt milk anywhere, try up the nose. That's probably the root of the problem. Just nurse nurse nurse!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)