Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

ive had a heard time producing milk since i started breastfeeding. i have to pump every two hours and feed him every 1 1/2 hours and i feel like my supply keep dwindling

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

So he lost over a lb and then gained over a lb by a month old...?   He lost a lot, but his gain was fine for that month... more than expected, in fact.

And now he's 6 months old and has gained 8.5lbs?   Which is also more than he really needed to gain at minimum. 

His gain is fine, hun... you want 4oz per week the first month and then a lb per month average after that.   He's exceeded that.   Nothing wrong with him or your supply, stop pumping and just nurse him.

How are milestones?  He should be smiling, laughing, rolling over... is he hitting all those?

Quoting calebsmommy13:

he was born at 6lbs 10 oz then he lost over a pound the following week then when he was a month old he was only 6lbs 11 oz so he was sent to the hospital and he has high calorie formula and he lost more weight in the hospital and now hes only 14 lbs and hes almost 6 months old

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

8 diapers means that plenty is going in - - pumping output means nothing - many women can't pump anything, but their supply is perfect. 

As for not gaining weight - - what is his weight history - birth weight, lowest weight, current weight?

Quoting calebsmommy13:

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

What makes you think your supply is dwindling?  How old, and how many diapers in a 24 hour period?

about 8 diapers and hes 5 1/2 months and im not pumping as much as i used to i already have to supplement with fomula because my son isnt gaining weight like he shouldbut i dont want to give up!!!!!!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
sleepymommy87
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM
That doesn't sound low to me, usually babies double their weight by six months but I could be wrong. My dd was 7lb 10oz at birth and at 6 months she was 15lb exactly and has never needed any formula. So I'm not sure why they think he's so low. Hmm.

Quoting calebsmommy13:

he has a very low weight gain and he is 14 lbs now at 6 months

Quoting sleepymommy87:

How much does he weigh? 8 diapers is totally normal. What is his weight history?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
back40mama
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

two things you might want to try.

Fenugreek - an herbal supplement to help produce milk

Mothers Milk Tea - same abbilities

Both are safe, you can get them at GNC. I tried them both together, however for me, it made no diffeence. With 4 kids', I've always had this problem with not prouducing enough milk until about 10 months. Then no problem. My oldest now who is 15 months old was my biggest challenge.Once that 10 month or so hit, then plenty to go around. Like now, we can nurse constantly. Sometimes it takes our body a little while to get with the program! I know personally how frustrating it can be but just stick with it.

I had to supplement with all my kids' too, and balled like a baby everytime I had to do it but it's needed sometimes. And my husband had to scold me everytime that it's ok!

shortyali
by Alicia on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM
3 moms liked this
From your weight history your baby is fine. There's no need to up your supply. I personally would cut back on the formula and find a new Ped that knows more about bfing. Yours knows squat if they are telling you that your baby needs to gain more weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM
I agree with this - wean from the supplements and keep an eye on diapers.

Quoting shortyali:

From your weight history your baby is fine. There's no need to up your supply. I personally would cut back on the formula and find a new Ped that knows more about bfing. Yours knows squat if they are telling you that your baby needs to gain more weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Weight gain actually sounds fine. What does not sound fine is nursing every 1 1/2 hrs and pumping every 2 hours, and supplementing with formula. Either you are worried for no reason, don't need to do that, can just relax and nurse and all will be fine, OR baby is not transferring milk well and the only reason why his weight gain is fine is from all of the pumping and supplementing in addition to the nursing.

Let me try and get some more info here:

At what age did you begin pumping and bottle feeding in addition to nursing at the breast?

When did you add formula?

You say he nurses every 1.5 hrs, is that around the clock, or does he sleep for a long stretch at night? How many tiems does he nurse in 24 hrs?

When you pump every 2 hours, what is your total daily output.

Are you following each breastfeeding with a bottle? How much?

How much formula is baby getting on top the the expressed breastmilk?

Have you ever had a trial of 100% nursing at the breast?

Has the baby been evaluated for latch/suck problems or tongue tie?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Only? 

That's EIGHT MONTHS worth of growth. He's HUGE! You're perfect there. I dont' think you need anything for supply. Just for confidence.

One pound per month from lowest is expected.

Gotta read through the rest of the thread but cross weight OFF your list of concerns. It's not a worry. he's perfect. (And if anyone waves a chart your way, SHRED the thing.)

Quoting calebsmommy13:

he was born at 6lbs 10 oz then he lost over a pound the following week then when he was a month old he was only 6lbs 11 oz so he was sent to the hospital and he has high calorie formula and he lost more weight in the hospital and now hes only 14 lbs and hes almost 6 months old

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:56 PM

OK. Read all the way through and I have ONE question for you. Just one.

What IDIOT told you he has a gain problem? Because you are NOT to listen to that idiot any longer. Baby's weight is perfect. Dipes are perfect. BABY IS PERFECT.

The only things you are to worry about are the college fund... and how to cut ties with the idiot!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

normal loss wouldve been 10.6 ounces...so losing a pound SOMETHING was going on..let move on from there.  Normal gain would be about 4 oz a week from that so 6lbs 11oz at a month was AWESOME if he was down to 5lbs 10oz!! becuase that means baby gained over a pound in 3 weeks. Thats 5.6 oz a week!! WHY was he sent to the hospital?! thats insane! there was NO need for high calorie formula at all. Why did he lose weight in the hospital?

SO basically from 1 month to 6 months baby has gained 5.85 oz a week from a month old..thats AWESOME.  Its normal from birth to 6 month to double birthweight, your baby is OVER that..this is NOT low gain

Quoting calebsmommy13:

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

8 diapers means that plenty is going in - - pumping output means nothing - many women can't pump anything, but their supply is perfect. 

As for not gaining weight - - what is his weight history - birth weight, lowest weight, current weight?

Quoting calebsmommy13:

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

What makes you think your supply is dwindling?  How old, and how many diapers in a 24 hour period?

about 8 diapers and hes 5 1/2 months and im not pumping as much as i used to i already have to supplement with fomula because my son isnt gaining weight like he shouldbut i dont want to give up!!!!!!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:12 AM
That loss is a bit more than the 12% that would have been expected with IV fluids given during labor or a C-section, but the gain in the next 3 weeks was more than perfect.
I'm curious to see the answers to maggiemom2000's questions so wee can help if it is truly needed.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

normal loss wouldve been 10.6 ounces...so losing a pound SOMETHING was going on..let move on from there.  Normal gain would be about 4 oz a week from that so 6lbs 11oz at a month was AWESOME if he was down to 5lbs 10oz!! becuase that means baby gained over a pound in 3 weeks. Thats 5.6 oz a week!! WHY was he sent to the hospital?! thats insane! there was NO need for high calorie formula at all. Why did he lose weight in the hospital?

SO basically from 1 month to 6 months baby has gained 5.85 oz a week from a month old..thats AWESOME.  Its normal from birth to 6 month to double birthweight, your baby is OVER that..this is NOT low gain

Quoting calebsmommy13:

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Quoting calebsmommy13:

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)