Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Storing milk

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM
  • 6 Replies
I'm back to work full time. I keep up with fresh milk in the fridge for my daughter, so I pump into bottles and store in the fridge in 2-3 oz portions. But I will get a bit ahead of her and need to freeze some milk since it won't be used in time. What is the best way to bag the milk that's been in the fridge without loosing all the good stuff? It seems like all the good stuff in the milk sticks to the side of the bottle when I transport it. Any tips? I've tried a few things, but there's gotta be a better way.

On a side note... My daughter who was born 6 weeks early, spent 3 weeks in the NICU, dropped so much weight so fast it was terrifying, had to get donor milk, and had a heck of a time learning to eat has been exclusively breast fed since we got home. Getting my milk in was a challenge! I could have easily given up a few times. But I'm so glad I didn't! She is 2 1/2 months and has almost doubled her birth weight. She was in the 73rd percentile for weight and 85th for height at her 2 month checkup on the regular spectrum, not the preemie! It's AMAZING the power of mamas milk!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sbreece
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Take the refrigerated bottle and rub it through your hands for a few minutes to warm the sides and melt the fat back into the milk. Then..pour into a freezer bag or bottle. I learned this works last night instead of having to heat a bottle I wasn't going to use. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Sbreece steered you right. But remember that the milk can stay in the fridge eight days. I don't know how far ahead you are, but you've got some leeway.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

remember not to shake breastmilk...swirl not shake

AKmom11
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM
This is what I've been doing but maybe I'm not doing it long enough. I still feel like I'm leaving a lot of the fat on the side.

Quoting sbreece:

Take the refrigerated bottle and rub it through your hands for a few minutes to warm the sides and melt the fat back into the milk. Then..pour into a freezer bag or bottle. I learned this works last night instead of having to heat a bottle I wasn't going to use. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jen825
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Congrats on your accomplishments and hard work! Yay!!

If I were you, I would try to freeze the freshest milk (if I had excess) and feed DD the oldest milk (if not expired). I just liked knowing that my freezer supply was all frozen ASAP instead of being halfway "bad" and then frozen. Not sure if that's the recommended method or not :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AKmom11
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM
That's what I do. They say its good in the fridge 4-8 days. I don't keep it in the fridge longer than 1-2. But I have to bring it home from work and see what she needs for the next day. Sometimes she needs all of it sometimes none of it. I just hate wasting the good fat. Honestly she has never needed to use the frozen supply. She may never need it since I keep up fresh. But I like knowing its there for emergency!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)