Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Maybe I am a lemon...

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM
  • 17 Replies
Breastfeeding has never worked out for me. Im not entirely sure why.. But I kind of feel like a failure ... With my oldest I supplemented from day one and she had acid reflux. Id nurse shed puke, still be hungry and id try to nurse again but there was no milk do id give her a bottle. this went on for six months before I just gave up. My second, was ebf then when he was 3 mo old I took him to dr and he had lost about half a lb in a few wks. So we started weight checks and more frequent nursings. Didn't work. He gained hardly anything, stated pumping and giving him that milk, didn't work. tried fenugreek, that didn't work, started supplementing 4 oz formula a day, didnt work. Finally he ended up on all formula and high fat solids, holy moly he bulked up sooo fast! Hes average size now. And now my youngest, she was born at home and my mw made sure she had a perfect latch. She was doing awesome til 6 weeks. Her jaundice went away fast, she gained oodles of weight, tons of diapers etc. then go in for my 6 wk pp check and she lost .5 oz in 2 wks. I just started suoplementing w formula right away because of all the issues #2 had and I didnt want to go through all that again. She was sooo much happier. We made it 4 mo doing bf and ff. What is wrong w my breasts??? I did everything "right" w the younger two. Limited binkies, on demand nursing til they were done, no formula etc... Its very frustrating
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Have any of them been checked for tongue tie? It sounds like a milk transfer issue not a mommy issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marilyn623
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM
The youngest was checked, she was fine, I kinda wonder about ds, he has a lisp. But his latch didnt seem wrong
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Quoting marilyn623:

The youngest was checked, she was fine, I kinda wonder about ds, he has a lisp. But his latch didnt seem wrong

Sometimes the latch feels fine, but they aren't able to effectively transfer enough milk.  Also, was your daughter thoroughly checked for TT?   Posterior tongue tie, lip tie, etc... ?    Often they will gain fine in the first couple months because your supply is so strong that the milk is basically just poured into their mouth... then, when your supply regulates and they have to work to remove it they aren't able to effectively do it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
devoesgirl
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Dont beat yourself up. Sounds like you tried really hard and you did what you had to do for your babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Quoting marilyn623:

Breastfeeding has never worked out for me. Im not entirely sure why.. But I kind of feel like a failure ...
We don't allow that word around here. Let's take a look.
With my oldest I supplemented from day one and she had acid reflux. Id nurse shed puke, still be hungry and id try to nurse again but there was no milk do id give her a bottle.
Hmmm..... I detect the beginning hints of a letdown problem. Which would mean NOT a lemon, just not having info.
this went on for six months before I just gave up. My second, was ebf then when he was 3 mo old I took him to dr and he had lost about half a lb in a few wks. So we started weight checks and more frequent nursings. Didn't work. He gained hardly anything, stated pumping and giving him that milk, didn't work. tried fenugreek, that didn't work, started supplementing 4 oz formula a day, didnt work. Finally he ended up on all formula and high fat solids, holy moly he bulked up sooo fast!
They're only supposed to gain a pound a month... it's entirely possible you were fine and didn't know it. Scales tend to be liars. I want you to google this "Look at the baby not the scale." Excellent article by Dr. Jay Gordon...you'll never put a baby on a scale again!
Hes average size now. And now my youngest, she was born at home and my mw made sure she had a perfect latch. She was doing awesome til 6 weeks. Her jaundice went away fast, she gained oodles of weight, tons of diapers etc. then go in for my 6 wk pp check and she lost .5 oz in 2 wks.
Half an ounce can be attributable to anything. Including a false scale reading, time of day, whether baby has peed in the past hour or not. Half an ounce? Ignore. REALLY! I wouldn't even worry about a half ounce variance. Total weight history, please? And if there were any mitgants such as illness, let me know.
I just started suoplementing w formula right away because of all the issues #2 had and I didnt want to go through all that again. She was sooo much happier. We made it 4 mo doing bf and ff. What is wrong w my breasts??? I did everything "right" w the younger two. Limited binkies, on demand nursing til they were done, no formula etc... Its very frustrating

Probably nothing wrong with your breasts... just lack of info. Half an ounce is too little to even count. If it wasn't precisely the same scale, don't even pay attention.

My doc looks at a baby's weight ONCE: the first time he sees the child. Never again UNLESS mom reports a problem with dipes and milestones. Weight's an unimportant marker. And he never uses charts. They can deceive.

Toss the supplements. I want dipe counts and weight history.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM

By the way... at six weeks, she should be 20 ounces heavier than her lowest weight. Thats all. More is gravy. (Lowest weight at one week, four ounces per week over the next five weeks.)

marilyn623
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM
I only have weight hist for my youngest. My 2nd I could probably find somewhere.
Feb 18 6 lbs 7 oz ( on a sling scale at home)
Feb 21 6 lb .5 oz
Feb 22 6 lb 3
mar 1 6lb 12
Mar 6 7 1.5
Mar 21 7 lb 10.5
Mar 30 7 10 started sup.
Apr 19 9 lb 5
Sep 6 13 15
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Based on the weights I don't see that you needed to start supplementing at all, mama....Well over a pound in a month from the lowest weight.

shortyali
by Alicia on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM
I agree. With doing the math I'm not seeing a reason to ever supplement.

Quoting asaffell:

Based on the weights I don't see that you needed to start supplementing at all, mama....Well over a pound in a month from the lowest weight.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marilyn623
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM
I bumped the post about ds, its called is this true
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)