Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

For those who commented on 'made to feel ashamed for breast feeding'. Thank you!

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM
  • 7 Replies
I just wanted to thank everyone who commented on that post. It really does mean so much to hear supportive words from people you don't even know, because you can't get it from your loved ones.
All the pictures and links for further reading were also greatly appreciated. And very helpful for the boyfriend. We had a major heart to heart about it all and he read all the stuff and responses. He felt really bad and promises to be 100% supportive with what I want to do. And that he will stand up to his family about it. And if I'm too scared then to my family as well if need be. He just wants me to be comfortable and at ease wherever we are. And he also says he can wait til I go back to work to feed him lol. As long as I let him have a certain ritual :-)
You all have helped ease my mind on NIP(I love that!!!) and have pointed me in some good directions.
Again, thank you sooooooooo much for all your support and kind words :-)
~~~Gina

Ok ladies. Here goes. I'm putting this out there because you all seem very supportive and knowledgable about the ins and outs of it.
I have a son who is 7 yrs old and am 28 weeks pregnant with another baby boy. When I had my first son I wanted nothing more than to be able to breast feed, but I had problems with my let down and I knew I had to return to work full time and pumping and formula supplementation would most likely be necessary. So my little baby boy spent 2 weeks on nothing but formula despite trying several times a day and all the tricks for let down. Luckily me being so stubborn he still latched on very well. Well my husband at the time was in the military and getting deployed soon, so he was happy for the bottle feeding time he got. But my mil and my own mom were on me for being upset and frustrated about it. Saying we had been bottle and formula fed and nothing happened to us. But I wanted it so bad! After the first few weeks when I finally let down I cried tears of joy. And that first feeding session is the best moment on my memory to this day. I started pumping right away as well so husband could have his time too. And when I returned to work I was lucky enough to have a boss who had just had a baby as well so I was able to pump at work with out any issues. So he had breast milk in bottles while I was at work and nursed when I was home. But after only a few months I started drying up and not producing enough and he wasn't getting enough. So back to formula we went. It was so hard and frustrating and again my family just told me to get over it. Plus I was only allowed to nurse at home. I had to bring bottles every time we went out. My husband was a very jealous man and didn't like me doing something that private out in public. Well my family and in laws were the same. It's not like I'd just whip a tit out. I'd always go somewhere private and cover myself. But even at home I had to cover myself because no one wanted to see or hear about it. I swear the stress from everyone around me made me dry up so fast. So my dilemma now. I'm divorced and have been with my boyfriend for just over 2 yrs. and he is nothing like my ex, very supportive and wants me to do what I want. But I am very scared about having the same issues this time around. I am lucky enough to be able to take about 6 months off after he is born. But even though he is supportive, he doesn't believe in nursing in public. Especially if someone doesn't cover. And he wants to be able to feed him as well. And then there's my family who I already said how they are. So here I am at 28 weeks and already so stressed about how and what to do. So afraid I won't let down again, or I'll dry up quickly again, or not make enough. Or that this one will have issues going between breast and bottle. Because its been made clear to me again not to do it around my family or in public. So I will have to pump some.
So my questions are this: Do I put my foot down now and say "NO! It was ruined for me last time and I'm doing it my way this time!" or do I wait til he's born and just do what I want even if it bothers everyone else? And if I have the same problems as with my first, do I just ignore everyone and keep it to myself that way nobody can say anything? We are both close with our families and spend a lot of time with them. Cutting that back isn't really an option so I know the situations will arise :-(. Advice anyone? Anyone had similar experiences?
Sorry I went on so long. I just had to get it out. Thank you :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
FebPenguins
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

giving heart

Tillymommie
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Ummm.. me personally would tell them to F*ck off and shove it will the sun dont shine. My dh's dad and SM made a comment to me about a lady BF in public and I flat out told them 'I do and I dont care what others think'  I have BF at the table at a restuarant and everytime I take the kiddos to the park I BF my daughter on the bench while the other kids are playing.

Do what makes YOU feel comfortable and happy. Screw everyone else.

silka08
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Im so glad you two are now on the same page :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

YAY! I let my hubby take our LO after I do the evening feed and he lays on the couch skin to skin with him to put him to sleep everynight, even now that he is 2.5 some nights its ont he couch some nights its baby in toddler bed hubs on the floor next to it, but always daddy for bed

Ginnygurl97
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Me too! As someone had commented in the original post, info and education were some of the most important things to understanding and all. And now he's jumping in to learn more and educate his family too!

Quoting silka08:

Im so glad you two are now on the same page :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ginnygurl97
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Now that's awesome and would be good for us too. because he lvs for work at 6am and doesn't get home til 6 or 7pm. Or I was thinking bath time. I always bathed my older son at nite instead of the morning cause it seemed to help him sleep better. Or I'll let him make up his own routine lol

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

YAY! I let my hubby take our LO after I do the evening feed and he lays on the couch skin to skin with him to put him to sleep everynight, even now that he is 2.5 some nights its ont he couch some nights its baby in toddler bed hubs on the floor next to it, but always daddy for bed

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:27 PM

hugging 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN