Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
... That when baby cries he/she's hungry?
What do u try first, before nursing to see if baby is just crying, or actually hungry?

I'm asking... Becuz dh is asking...
I go back to work on 11/4. I am so nervous and sad to leave my baby but I am the bread winner, so back I go lol. Dh is just curious what to try b4 feeding her when she cries. If she so much as wimpers right now, he heads her to me thinking she's hungry. Lol. Just trying to help him transition. Ds was 4 months old b4 I went back to work so this is new to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Replies (11-18):
frankiesma530
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:37 PM
I pick him up and bounce around a bit first to see if it helps...unless it`s been over an hour since he last ate. Then i nurse him. He`s almost 2 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:44 PM
I can't tell the difference between cries/fussies yet so I always offer boob first. With ds1 I knew from day 1 what each cry was and what to do. Ds2, not so much. That being said, anyone else should try other things and not just assume hunger. Diaper and interaction are always dirst when dh is tending to baby. I'll let them try to figure things out before offering to 'take over' when I'm around.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:48 PM
With me it's boob first then problem solve. With DH/in laws while I'm at work, bottles are on a set schedule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

When mom is present, breast first. When mom is NOT present, breastmilk LAST... you try everything else first.

Gruntlings
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM

My babies have clear hunger cues (open mouth, rooting, MEANINGFUL EYE CONTACT, etc.) so I don't assume hunger at the first whine.

Every baby is different, but I can tell from the way she cries what it is that she needs. If she's happy and then her face crumples and she starts to cry it's because she needs a diaper change. If she continues to cry once the diaper is off it's because the pee or poop is irritating her skin and then she needs to be rinsed off. If she fusses and kicks her legs she has gas and needs to have her legs bicycled.

When she is sleepy she rubs her eyes and bobs her head against my shoulder and nuzzles me but isn't doing her mouth thing.

When she's hungry she opens her mouth and roots and chews on her fist, turns towards whoever is holding her, etc.

I'll nurse her to comfort her when she is upset but I do so with the understanding that it's not exactly nursing that she needs at the moment. I guess for him this would be time to try a pacifier?

With breastfed babies you want to try for the 1-1.25oz/hour 3oz bottles thing to see if you can encourage reverse cycling. While there are exceptions to the rule you don't really want to do on-demand bottle feeding with a breastfed baby as bottles are very easy to over-feed with and people often mistake an upset baby for a hungry one.

-Sarah
---------------------------------------------------------
Sarah is a mom to three and a moderator in the "Breastfeeding Moms" group. She runs Nurshable.com where she blogs about finding joy in gentle parenting.

justone_jen
by Jen on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:48 AM
This.

He'll find his groove, mama. It took my mate about a week to get it.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Never assumed, just could tell by the cry and circumstances what baby needed. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Just tell him bottles need to be scheduled so you can keep up with the pumping at work.... and yes i always offer boob first. And my husband does the same thing lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Just schedule bottles when your away, if it's not bottle time then he needs to try something else.
Things to try, change of scenery(go for a walk, different room) play/sing/dance turn music on, bath, nap, baby wear
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN