Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you night wean?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:32 PM
  • 4 Replies
How exactly do you night wean? What do you do with baby when they wake up? How do you get them to not nurse?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
LKRA
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Hell if I know. lol It was the last thing to go. :) The last time she nursed was on 02/05/12 at 2am. lol

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:01 AM
HOw old is the baby? The approach will depend on age. I didn't attempt night weaning until 15-18 months, at which time I told them that "mommy is sleeping, milk is sleeping, go back to sleep" and then I'd quietly snuggle with them. I remember nights where I had to grab my shirt tight at the neck to block attempts by my stubborn two. ;-) After a week or so, they came to know that waking up at night wasn't going to get them a snack so the fussing slowed down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM
I am doing a modified version of dr. jay Gordon's method. It is only to use after baby is a year old, mine is 15 months...... It says to do each step in like 3 days but i've stretched that out. We nurse for a few minutes unlatch I say all done and we cuddle till she falls asleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM

On drjaygordon.com, you'll find an article called "Changing the Sleep Pattern In the Family Bed." Step by step instructions on how to night wean.

Be aware, he doesn't recommend it before age one, and if baby is under 9 months I'd stay well away from night weaning for a while. WHenever you do start, don't expect infant cooperation. You're trying to take away something baby sees as necessary to survival and he migh not be real happy about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN