Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Used Bottles

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM
  • 8 Replies
Sil watched Ds today. Normally my 8month old Ds refuses bottles when away from me even if it is ten hours. Sil had some bottles from her last baby (2) washed one and gave it to Ds. He I guess took it like a champ and actually took two bottles while I was gone. Sil gave me all her old bottles. Typically I buy new bottles for new babies. I throw them out when baby out griws them. The bottles Sil gave me are pretty expensive. Is it gross to use used bottles or totally fine. (I plan on boiling and sanitizing the bottles)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Um, I would use used bottles! Those things are expensive! Just make sure they are BPA free... older ones may not be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I would not use used bottles but that's just me.

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a used bottle that we used for my nephew. Its an expensive one thats supposed to simulate breast shape and flow and he had it for colic. It was only used a handful of times. We cleaned and sterilized it and are hoping he will take it when time comes to introduce expressed milk since he doesnt seem to be interested in the mam ones we bought. I dont see the problem especially since you know where its from and where its been and you are cleaning it and such.

Emadele
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't see the sense in getting brand new bottles for each baby. As long as the bottles are in good condition I keep them. I get new nipples if the old ones are trashed or whatever. You don't throw out your silver wear or dishes after every meal, right?

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
soulofsunmama
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:24 AM
I agree.
I had all kinds of used ones, of course it might have helped if my little guy had *actually* used one,lol

Quoting Emadele:

I don't see the sense in getting brand new bottles for each baby. As long as the bottles are in good condition I keep them. I get new nipples if the old ones are trashed or whatever. You don't throw out your silver wear or dishes after every meal, right?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gruntlings
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Since you know the origin it's not terrible.. But plastics degrade and I don't even like using the used bottles from a previous child of my own with the next child. And my bottles see such minimal use.When bottles are cleaned and exposed to heat the material starts to leech stuff into whatever the bottle holds. While newer bottles may be BPA free they may contain other things that leech into the milk as the plastic ages that can cause other problems.

I'd invest in a few new bottles, personally.

Unless they're glass bottles, then I'd have no issue re-using them.

I'm a bit antsy about plastic around food products though.

-Sarah
---------------------------------------------------------
Sarah is a mom to three and a moderator in the "Breastfeeding Moms" group. She runs Nurshable.com where she blogs about finding joy in gentle parenting.

YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:12 PM
I use used bottles. I just boil them and get new nipples.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM
This is how I feel.
I would just buy one of the smaller bottles of whatever brand it is

Quoting Gruntlings:

Since you know the origin it's not terrible.. But plastics degrade and I don't even like using the used bottles from a previous child of my own with the next child. And my bottles see such minimal use.When bottles are cleaned and exposed to heat the material starts to leech stuff into whatever the bottle holds. While newer bottles may be BPA free they may contain other things that leech into the milk as the plastic ages that can cause other problems.

I'd invest in a few new bottles, personally.

Unless they're glass bottles, then I'd have no issue re-using them.

I'm a bit antsy about plastic around food products though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN