Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

1st bottle

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM
  • 7 Replies

I know I was advised not to worry about giving our son a bottle since he won't be getting one until December when we have a function to go to.  BUT....hubby insisted to just 'try' it.  Well, our lil chunker sucked that thing dry!!!!!!!!!  hahahahaha!  He's 2.5mos and drank 5oz of BM.  I'm so proud!  

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Not to throw cold water... but five ounces is really a lot. That's five hours worth of feeding.

Botle feeding methodology for a breastfed baby: One ounce, burp. One ounce, burp. Last ounce, burp. Yep, three ounces. The bottle should be "less." The idea is to make it a definite second choice for baby so you don't have probelms with him wanting that over the breast.

Bottle = a slice of toast you wolf down on the way out the door because you're late for work.

Breast = the big buffet lunch your boss took you to.

:-)

rHOPEb
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Love the analogy! He eats every 2-3 hrs still. Oh, he wont get bottle anyway. Thanks for letting me know because I thought it was a lot too. Hubby did burp him after each ounce or so. And I pumped 6oz while he had bottle.

Quoting gdiamante:

Not to throw cold water... but five ounces is really a lot. That's five hours worth of feeding.

Botle feeding methodology for a breastfed baby: One ounce, burp. One ounce, burp. Last ounce, burp. Yep, three ounces. The bottle should be "less." The idea is to make it a definite second choice for baby so you don't have probelms with him wanting that over the breast.

Bottle = a slice of toast you wolf down on the way out the door because you're late for work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Great! 

rHOPEb
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Oh......maybe I should add.....he is around 16lbs already. He was 9lb 9oz at birth :) Hes my lil chinked!

Quoting rHOPEb:

Love the analogy! He eats every 2-3 hrs still. Oh, he wont get bottle anyway. Thanks for letting me know because I thought it was a lot too. Hubby did burp him after each ounce or so. And I pumped 6oz while he had bottle.

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM
The amount they should get from the bottle never changes, not with age or size. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM
This :)
1-1.25oz per hr in bottles no larger than 3oz. That's a forever number.
Glad he took to it well! :)

Quoting justone_jen:

The amount they should get from the bottle never changes, not with age or size. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RadnRem
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup, even chunkers shouldn't get more than 3 oz every 2-3 hrs!
My 5 month old is a little man child and while I'm at work only two of his bottles are 3 oz, the rest are less.
For an idea of how big my 5 month old is.....this morning when I was getting him dressed, I had to tell my husband "We are on the verge of having to switch him to 18 month pants" o_0

But! I am glad he took to the bottle just fine. I know that will take some stress off your back when the time comes to really need it!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

This :)

1-1.25oz per hr in bottles no larger than 3oz. That's a forever number.

Glad he took to it well! :)

Quoting justone_jen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)