Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you recommend for solids?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM
  • 52 Replies

Not sure which way im going with solids.. He seems so interested! Whats all of your opinions? What would you start with?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NowImAMom...
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Avocado is supposed to be a great first food, and I think bananas. I'm gonna keep an eye on this post though, because my son is almost 6 months and I want to know what else :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Levi had jicama and banana.
I also bought him cauliflower, broccoli, kiwi, carrots, apple, avocado, and pears to try this month.

I started yesterday. I know I did two firsts when your supposed to do one but I did jicama first and it was kind of disappointing that he couldn't eat it so I gave him banana.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElizabethAnnNB
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Thats what i was going to start with but im not sure if i should give him like puree baby food to start out with..

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Avocado is supposed to be a great first food, and I think bananas. I'm gonna keep an eye on this post though, because my son is almost 6 months and I want to know what else :)

Glowing4Caleb
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM

It is best to wait until at least 6 months old. I started with avocado. I actually make all his baby food from fresh fruits and veggies and freeze them in ice cube trays. That way I know exactly what is going in his little belly and it hasn't been cooked to such a high temperature that it loses any of it's nutrients. Many moms on here also do baby lead weaning where you give small pieces of food and let them feed themselves from the beginning.

ElizabethAnnNB
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM

how old was he when you started?

Quoting pinkiebabii:

I also bought him cauliflower, broccoli, kiwi, carrots, avocado, and pears to try this month.

I started yesterday. I know I did two firsts when your supposed to do one but I did jicama first and it was kind of disappointing that he couldn't eat it so I gave him banana.

ElizabethAnnNB
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Ah so many choices! I was going to try that to but i think 6 months is a little young for them to feed themselves.. idk..!

Quoting Glowing4Caleb:

It is best to wait until at least 6 months old. I started with avocado. I actually make all his baby food from fresh fruits and veggies and freeze them in ice cube trays. That way I know exactly what is going in his little belly and it hasn't been cooked to such a high temperature that it loses any of it's nutrients. Many moms on here also do baby lead weaning where you give small pieces of food and let them feed themselves from the beginning.

Glowing4Caleb
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I also worry about choking at that age, but many swear by it. That is why I puree everything! :) And I will for at least another few months, unless he seems ready sooner. He is 8 months old now.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
We encourage baby led solids a lot in this group, not a lot of us do purees.

Baby is ready for solids when they meet these:
6 months old
Sit unassisted
Has pincher reflex
Lost tongue thrust

Here, we start at 9 months with cubes of avocado. Banana, sweet potato, steamed veggies/fruits, and shredded meats are also great foods to start with. Just chop into bite sized pieces, put baby in a chair, put food on a plate, and let baby go for it, but **only after a full nursing session.** A full serving for an infant is 1 tbs. Solids right now have nothing to do with nutrition, more about learning.

Have fun!

Quoting ElizabethAnnNB:

Thats what i was going to start with but im not sure if i should give him like puree baby food to start out with..

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:00 AM
He turned six months yesterday and that's when I started. I just put slices of the jicama and banana on his high chair and let him "eat" them, but in reality he pretty much played with it.

Im not doing anything today because he has my cold and I don't want to put his body through too much at once. Next time I give him food I'm doing squash.

Quoting ElizabethAnnNB:

how old was he when you started?

Quoting pinkiebabii:

I also bought him cauliflower, broccoli, kiwi, carrots, avocado, and pears to try this month.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kittiecat88
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Avacado! I have tries peas, bananas and applesauce and avacado is the only food she actually seems to enjoy! She opens up her mouth like a baby birdie! Lol she gags with peas and applesauce. So I would go with avacado! Its pretty bland and SO nutritious!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)