Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Medications

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM
  • 10 Replies
Can I take for this horrible cold?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thalia7758
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
littlemonaghan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM

i took sudafed. some will say not to because it can cause a drop in supply.

I get bad sinus infections though, so for me...it was take the sudafed, risk a drop in suppy....not take the sudafed, have my sinus get backed up, then have to take antibiotics and pump and dump. lol.

i took my risk with the sudafed. oh and claritin. i took both.

never noticed a supply dip

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Pretty much anything you want! Decongestants require extra fluids. No aspirin. Otherwise, you're good.

mamabens
by Miranda on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I can cause it but not always . FYI though antibiotics are  safe to  take while nursing & there is absolutely no reason to pump & dump.  Pump & dump is kind of useless for anything anyway as the meds leave your breastmilk at the same rate they leave your bloodstream.

Quoting littlemonaghan:

I get bad sinus infections though, so for me...it was take the sudafed, risk a drop in suppy....not take the sudafed, have my sinus get backed up, then have to take antibiotics and pump and dump. lol.

ceckyl
by Kyla on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM
How come no aspirin? I've never known why lol.

Quoting gdiamante:

Pretty much anything you want! Decongestants require extra fluids. No aspirin. Otherwise, you're good.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM

i cant remember which one, but the antibiotic i would have to take for a sinus infection, they told me wasn ot safe to take while nursing. i dont remember which it was though

Quoting mamabens:

I can cause it but not always . FYI though antibiotics are  safe to  take while nursing & there is absolutely no reason to pump & dump.  Pump & dump is kind of useless for anything anyway as the meds leave your breastmilk at the same rate they leave your bloodstream.

Quoting littlemonaghan:

shortyali
by Alicia on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:00 PM
My dr told me the same thing and I laughed at him. Never take a dr word when it comes to safe bf drugs. I ever have a question I call infant risk. I was given 3 different time frames to pump and dump when I had my ct scan when DD was 4 months, all within 30 minutes from 3 different "medical" professionals and guess what, the contrast they used was safe for nursing.

Quoting littlemonaghan:

i cant remember which one, but the antibiotic i would have to take for a sinus infection, they told me wasn ot safe to take while nursing. i dont remember which it was though

Quoting mamabens:

Quoting littlemonaghan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Duquesne
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Causes Reyes Syndrome in infants, I believe.

Quoting ceckyl:

How come no aspirin? I've never known why lol.

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:59 PM

The dr? Yeah dr's say you cannot take just about everything  becuase they have little-no training in actual lactation. They  get their info from the PDR which is basically inserts from the meds & the companies put a blanket do not take while bfing to cover their asses with no actual research on if it's safe. Dr Thomas Hale has actually done the research & there are FEW meds that are actually not safe. Most common antibiotics are very safe.

Quoting littlemonaghan:

Quoting mamabens:

Quoting littlemonaghan:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Aspirin: Reye's Syndrome risk. 

There is an exception... the low-dose (81 mg) given for heart conditions is OK. Too low a dose to be a worry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)