Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Engorgement Pain

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM
  • 6 Replies
Ds is 15 months old this coming Sunday and still nurses frequently when we're at home. He's staying with my sister for a few days while I take care of a few things and my breasts hurt so bad. It's been about 30 hours since I last nursed and when I hand express I only get a few drops out. I don't have a pump and ds won't be home til Thursday. Will the pain ease up or will I get even more engorged as the week goes on? I already feel like I'm gonna explode. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TTC2Long
by Gina on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Oy. I think you need to get yourself a pump. It's dangerous to essentially stop nursing cold turkey. That engorgment can quickly turn turn to blocked ducts and mastitis. You need to get some of that milk out every few hours while he's gone. Also, do the tricks you did when you were engorged wjen your milk came in - warm shower and massage toward the nipple, ibuprophen, cabbage leaves. But be careful with the cabbage leaves - too much will dry you up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Is there anyway you can go nurse DS? I would worry about clogged ducts and mastisis.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
huntersmama711
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM
I'll try more warm showers and massaging. It's cold enough out for it! Lol. Also will try ibuprofen. Thank you!

Quoting TTC2Long:

Oy. I think you need to get yourself a pump. It's dangerous to essentially stop nursing cold turkey. That engorgment can quickly turn turn to blocked ducts and mastitis. You need to get some of that milk out every few hours while he's gone. Also, do the tricks you did when you were engorged wjen your milk came in - warm shower and massage toward the nipple, ibuprophen, cabbage leaves. But be careful with the cabbage leaves - too much will dry you up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
huntersmama711
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM
I wish I could go to him but he's 3 hours away. It was a last minute thing that came up so I wasn't prepared at all. I miss my little bubba bad

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Is there anyway you can go nurse DS? I would worry about clogged ducts and mastisis.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thalia7758
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Agreed, you need to get a pump. Even a small hand pump would do, if hand expression isn't working.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Ice packs and cabbage leaves in your bra (not at the same time)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)