Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is it normal now a days for pedis to give Hepititas B shots to infants?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM
  • 37 Replies

So the other day, my parents came over to hang with us. My SO mentioned how Sam (our 3 month old) received shots on the 28th of September (just so happened to be when he turned 3 months).

My SO was listing off the type of shots Sam received and one of them was the Hepititas B shot.

My parents started telling us how they shouldn't have given that to Sam. How it's not healthy to give to infants and they inject a little of the Hep B in babies which means that it's in their system which means that they now have Hep B which means that they can get sick from it.

We told them that I don't think that the doctors would give him something if they knew it was harmful to the baby.

My mom told me to do some research on it to see if it's safe or not.

Sam gets a series of shots (which most infants get) and the next sets of shots he receives is when he's 6 months old, I think.

My question is is this normal? I'm asking you because my parents are over protective when it comes to their grandchildren so they tend to over react to things that may seem minor.

When he goes for his next shots should I tell his doctor that I don't want him to get the Hep B shots or is it to late to deny the shots because the Hep B is all ready in his system?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by Sarah on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:44 PM
ALL vaccines have the virus, alive or dead, in them. The recommended vaccines, if you choose to vax, are on a set schedule that doctors follow. Your mom is overreacting.
marilyn623
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Generally the first one is at birth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sbreece
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM
They're harmless and necessary if you want to protect your child from that virus. My daughter got hers at birth and will get another at 6 months. Your mom is overreacting. Id tell her to butt out when it comes to your kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM
Yes it is normal to get hep B. My son got it at birth, 1 month and 6 months.

It is an inactivated antigen which means it is not a live or killed virus. It is part of the virus that our immune system recognizes to mount the immune response and make antibodies. You cannot catch the disease from the vaccine sice it is not even a whole virus.

Since the vaccine was added to the immunization schedule, it has decreased hep b by 75%. The goal is total eradication of the virus like smallpox.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by Sarah on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM
I got an anthrax vaccine when I was in the Army and yes, there is actual anthrax in it. If that didn't kill me then a vaccine that doctors routinely give babies is safe for babies (again, if you choose to vax - I don't want to get into a vax/no vax debate).
melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM
9 moms liked this
I agree with your mom, research more. You should know what they are injecting into your child and why.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM
What is your source for this 75% decrease? Can you link it please.

Quoting Cleo07:

Yes it is normal to get hep B. My son got it at birth, 1 month and 6 months.

It is an inactivated antigen which means it is not a live or killed virus. It is part of the virus that our immune system recognizes to mount the immune response and make antibodies. You cannot catch the disease from the vaccine sice it is not even a whole virus.

Since the vaccine was added to the immunization schedule, it has decreased hep b by 75%. The goal is total eradication of the virus like smallpox.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjp2707
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM
3 moms liked this
Vaxes are worth reaserching. They have a lot of side effects and harmful chemicals in them that alter the way you brain functions. If you chose to vax you can do a delayed schedule so your baby isn't getting so many chemicals at once.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Umm let me find it. I haven't worked as an md in a decade so had to refresh as hep b used to be different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Do your research and decide along with your DH what YOU feel is right for your baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)