Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is it normal now a days for pedis to give Hepititas B shots to infants?

Posted by   + Show Post

So the other day, my parents came over to hang with us. My SO mentioned how Sam (our 3 month old) received shots on the 28th of September (just so happened to be when he turned 3 months).

My SO was listing off the type of shots Sam received and one of them was the Hepititas B shot.

My parents started telling us how they shouldn't have given that to Sam. How it's not healthy to give to infants and they inject a little of the Hep B in babies which means that it's in their system which means that they now have Hep B which means that they can get sick from it.

We told them that I don't think that the doctors would give him something if they knew it was harmful to the baby.

My mom told me to do some research on it to see if it's safe or not.

Sam gets a series of shots (which most infants get) and the next sets of shots he receives is when he's 6 months old, I think.

My question is is this normal? I'm asking you because my parents are over protective when it comes to their grandchildren so they tend to over react to things that may seem minor.

When he goes for his next shots should I tell his doctor that I don't want him to get the Hep B shots or is it to late to deny the shots because the Hep B is all ready in his system?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
WhitleyLyles
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM
i delayed Abigails. She will get her first one at 2 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Here it is. CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5416a1.htm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

YES its "normal" they gave the hep B at birth too..this was not his frist shot of it I am sure.  You should have researched vaccines before they were given to your child.

You can deny shots at any point, but since hes already had 2 you may as well finish the cycle of 3 IMHO.

Dr. Sears the vaccine book...get it, read it

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:16 PM
7 moms liked this

I would not call vaccines harmless....they all have risks and YES Hep B has killed newborns before...I agree grandma is being a bit overboard but really they are NOT harmless or necessary

Quoting sbreece:

They're harmless and necessary if you want to protect your child from that virus. My daughter got hers at birth and will get another at 6 months. Your mom is overreacting. Id tell her to butt out when it comes to your kids.

mama02040608
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:27 AM
It has been part of the vaccine series for AT LEAST 10 years, probably closer to 15 or more. I remember giving it in the hospital to newborns when I began working as a nurse in 1997.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamieLyn822
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM
It is a routine shot. One is usually given at birth too, its babies first shot on the normal schedule. Is your mom a medical professional? Where does she get her info? I would advise researching these things for yourself and/or talking to your doctor about it if you have questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wolfybaby
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM

the first set is given at 2 months.. i wouldnt call that delaying lol! :P did you mean staggering? like one shot at a time? if so, then make sure the nurse wont slip a 5-in-1 combo shot in there!

my daughters name is also abigail. good choice! :] she is 15 months and hasnt had any shots at all.

Quoting WhitleyLyles:

WhitleyLyles
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM
I guess lol
i love my Abigail. shes the best. Do yall call her Abby or Abigail? everyone but her big brother calls her Abby.
Quoting wolfybaby:

the first set is given at 2 months.. i wouldnt call that delaying lol! :P did you mean staggering? like one shot at a time? if so, then make sure the nurse wont slip a 5-in-1 combo shot in there!

my daughters name is also abigail. good choice! :] she is 15 months and hasnt had any shots at all.

Quoting WhitleyLyles:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunbaby77
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Usually, the Hep B is given as soon as the baby is born, but you can elect to say no. I did. Hep B is generally found in prostitues and drug users, not babies.  It is standard practice to vaccinate all infants simply to achieve herd immunity.  (Prostitutes and drug users are less likely to get vaccinated as adults.)  I am not anti-vaccine, but there are some that I have chosen to say no to - or delay until my baby is older.  You have a right to do this too, but don't just listen to anyone (including me).  Do you own research from credible sources.  Get "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Robert Sears and "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations" by Dr. Stephanie Cave.  Both give in-depth information on each vaccine.

whoopsie16
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:42 PM
do the research anyways,
ds got a hep B shot & he hasnt had any problems..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)