Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I need a pump?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM
  • 5 Replies
I'm going to be a SAHM and don't really go anywhere... The few times I go anywhere I would have baby and just NIP. The only time I would need to pump beforehand I can see is if I go drinking (DH and his buddies throw parties that we all drink at). But I don't foresee myself doing that for awhile after LO is here.

Anywho, my SIL is convinced I need an expensive double electric pump. I was thinking I probably only need a single manual cheapie.

Suggestions? And how do I tell my SIL nicely that I don't need a 400$ thing. She can be kind of pushy...
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:09 PM

You are right, a Medela Harmony hand pump for $30 will be perfect for you. It may even go unused. As for SIL, thank her for her generosity but tell her straight out that you do not plan to pump and use bottles.

SadieJames
by Sarah on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Quoting maggiemom2000:

You are right, a Medela Harmony hand pump for $30 will be perfect for you. It may even go unused. As for SIL, thank her for her generosity but tell her straight out that you do not plan to pump and use bottles.

Thanks! And thanks for the recommendation : )
SIL is sweet but she works full time + and EPed for her kids for four months then switched so she kind of thinks its her way or no way kwim? She keeps telling me I'll "need a break" or that Ill "want someone else to feed her". I'm looking forward to breastfeeding so much thanks to this group and I can't imagine wanting to be away from my baby for a long time : (
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I have the really inexpensive medela single hand pump and am a SAHM and have no problem pumping plenty of milk for storage and stuff.

SadieJames
by Sarah on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Quoting Jujubee12:

I have the really inexpensive medela single hand pump and am a SAHM and have no problem pumping plenty of milk for storage and stuff.

Yay! Thanks! I think that's what I'm going to do too. How often do you pump? Just whenever you need to so you can have some BM stored?
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting Jujubee12:

Yay! Thanks! I think that's what I'm going to do too. How often do you pump? Just whenever you need to so you can have some BM stored?

not often. Especially since finding out I have OAL so I started to cut back. I havent given him a bottle yet but I pump every now and then when baby is sleeping and my boobs get uncomfortable or I think about it. Enough to have 24hrs worth of milk in the freezer for the future/just in case.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)