Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

divorce and extended breastfeeding.

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM
  • 24 Replies

XDH and I have officially been divorced for 3 months, our youngest DD just turned 1 around the same time. I believe in self weaning. We have been very fair about custody with the kids but we've run into a problem. I in no way want to keep our children from him but IDK what to do in this situation and am seeking advice. I allow DD to nurse whenever she chooses, and have never restricted her on this nor have I ever given her cows milk or any other milk besides my own. XDH knows how I feel about that, we have had 3 previous children together all of whom self weaned at different ages well past 1 year. While packing the kids bag I included several containers of hand expressed breast milk in a cooler for DD, she takes it well from a sippy cup. When the kids returned the containers were all still full, I asked him why he didnt use the breast milk and he said he wasn't going to put up with that **** anymore and that shes old enough to not be so attached to me. Im not quite sure how to approach this situation, we've been fine up until now and I certainly dont want to make a huge deal out of something that maybe is only my personal issue. So what do you ladies think? big deal or get over it?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsRinehart2010
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I would have made sure it was in the custody agreement that he had to use it or he couldnt take her. but thats jsut me mmy daughtre suffers from a rythmic issue with her tounge that enabled her from taking a bottle or sippy so my husband wouldnt havebeen able to keep her for long periods untill she was on a big cup like she is now . But we still nurse on demand. I would try to see if you can get in incorperated  into your custody agreement. Good luck sounds like he is just being a jerk

feliciasmith
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Big deal, to me anyway. You're still her mother regardless of your marital status or where she is for the night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
No biggie nurse when your together
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM

No biggie as long as she's fine with cow's milk.  Nurse when you're together, pump for relief when you're apart.

WhitleyLyles
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:13 PM
i think hes being ridiculous
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM
It's a big deal to me, so I would be up in arms about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WhitleyLyles
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM
exactly

Quoting feliciasmith:

Big deal, to me anyway. You're still her mother regardless of your marital status or where she is for the night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WhitleyLyles
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM
i eanted to say that i would be very angry about it
I mighy even tell him that if he wants to act like that that i wouldnt let her be away from me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I would let it go unless she has problems with cows milk, I would continue to nurse and I would pump while away if I could (jmo) and plan to let her self wean anyways. I would still be annoyed by his reaction and change but would be thankful shes over a year.

Eta- unless you think talking to him could change his mind, I just don't see using it to say you can't take her or trying to fight it legally now without a medical reason working in your favor
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nolanzo
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Since I don't do cows milk at all... id be livid. What did he give her in place of your bm?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN