Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing with baby sitting up??

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:10 PM
  • 26 Replies

My 6 mo old has an ear infection, well both ears are infected.. Anyway, his dr told me he needs to eat sitting up because the milk just runs back in to his ears... I've never heard of this... 

Anyone hear of this or been told this before?  

Thanks Ladies 

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:12 PM
I have NO experience with war infections, but I would imagine an upright position would feel more comfortable for baby. It's fine to nurse baby sitting up if that's what your asking?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorraine2674
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:38 PM

He seems to do ok.. except when he's tired he really wants to lay down..  I was more curious if anyone has ever heard of or had to do this... I'm still finding the right position for both of us.  

Thank you!  :) 

Quoting ceckyl:

I have NO experience with war infections, but I would imagine an upright position would feel more comfortable for baby. It's fine to nurse baby sitting up if that's what your asking?

alreadydidthis
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I've heared that before but with formula not breast milk. But that makes sense maybe that's why my baby ear infection came right back..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
devoesgirl
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Ive heard of that with bottle feeding but never with bfing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrooklynsMom11
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Dd and I do that. She sits on my lap facing me and nurses with her head cradled on my upper arm. We started doing that as soon as she started sitting up. Now its the only way we nurse unless shes going to bed. Helps with drainage during ear infections and colds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

we did that - well in an upright position - because of oversupply/overactive letdown and reflux. boppy goes around my side, baby lays on the pillow football hold style, and then I'd lean back against the couch and bend/prop my knees on a stool so they supported the pillow.

chiropractor will help with the ear infection, btw

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM
It really isn't the same with bm because you can use it to treat the ear infection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorraine2674
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I will try this position.. might be more comfy for both of us... Early on I had to lean back with him on me because of overactive letdown but he's too big and wiggly now.. hehe... 

and is that right.. Chiropractor will help??  

Thanks!! 

Quoting sreichelt26:

we did that - well in an upright position - because of oversupply/overactive letdown and reflux. boppy goes around my side, baby lays on the pillow football hold style, and then I'd lean back against the couch and bend/prop my knees on a stool so they supported the pillow.

sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

absolutely. regular adjustments will usually help prevent future ear infections too :)

Quoting Lorraine2674:

I will try this position.. might be more comfy for both of us... Early on I had to lean back with him on me because of overactive letdown but he's too big and wiggly now.. hehe... 

and is that right.. Chiropractor will help??  

Thanks!! 

Quoting sreichelt26:

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

That is for bottle feeding formula. That info does not apply to nursing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN