Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing with baby sitting up??

Posted by   + Show Post

My 6 mo old has an ear infection, well both ears are infected.. Anyway, his dr told me he needs to eat sitting up because the milk just runs back in to his ears... I've never heard of this... 

Anyone hear of this or been told this before?  

Thanks Ladies 

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
Lorraine2674
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback ladies!!!  You all are awesome! 

Gruntlings
by Sarah on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I've heard this. Breastmilk is less likely to cause problems than other feeding forms though. Ear infections in young babies can sometimes be a sign of silent reflux.

I nurse my baby with her sitting up a lot of the time. It's comfy.

-Sarah
---------------------------------------------------------
Sarah is a mom to three and a moderator in the "Breastfeeding Moms" group. She runs Nurshable.com where she blogs about finding joy in gentle parenting.

Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:18 PM
Not true. Check into a family chiropractor. A tiny adjustment to the neck gets those ears draining asap .

Quoting Lorraine2674:

My 6 mo old has an ear infection, well both ears are infected.. Anyway, his dr told me he needs to eat sitting up because the milk just runs back in to his ears... I've never heard of this... 

Anyone hear of this or been told this before?  

Thanks Ladies 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
R3G1N4_L0V3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I never heard about actually nursing sitting up but I have heard that milk going into the ear can in fact cause an ear infection. Another mom/friend told me to just keep the baby on a slight incline to help prevent that from happening.

Lorraine2674
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I thought the same thing... 

Quoting pinkiebabii:

It really isn't the same with bm because you can use it to treat the ear infection.

Honeybunches26
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband is training to be a hearing despensor and while studying together we did learn ear infections are caused by bacteria traveling through from the mouth to a part of the ear.. it was interesting stuff... So I guess its possible but my question for your doc is where the hell does he think the bacteria is from your breastmilk? I don't know for sure but I would assume from what we all know about breastmilk vs formula that formula causes ear infections not breastmilk.. the bacteria in breastmilk is healthy good bacteria
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Formula/cow's milk/other liquids in the ear can cause an ear infection/discomfort.

Breast milk in the ear can *cure* ear infections/discomfort. It contains antibodies to fight infections.

Quoting R3G1N4_L0V3:

I never heard about actually nursing sitting up but I have heard that milk going into the ear can in fact cause an ear infection. Another mom/friend told me to just keep the baby on a slight incline to help prevent that from happening.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM
I heard it with my ff baby. I followed directions and he still had to have tubes in his ears at 13 months.... i think it's bologna!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Just nurse however you and baby are comfortable.
I agree about bringing the lo to the chiro!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorraine2674
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Lol ... I'm not sure what his dr is thinking... They aren't very supportive of breast feeding (why I'm in process of changing drs) - he seemed surprised when I reminded him that we are breast feeding only ... Irritating ... Thanks for the info!

Quoting Honeybunches26:

My husband is training to be a hearing despensor and while studying together we did learn ear infections are caused by bacteria traveling through from the mouth to a part of the ear.. it was interesting stuff... So I guess its possible but my question for your doc is where the hell does he think the bacteria is from your breastmilk? I don't know for sure but I would assume from what we all know about breastmilk vs formula that formula causes ear infections not breastmilk.. the bacteria in breastmilk is healthy good bacteria

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)