Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Devastated.....I've been told to wean! :'-(

Posted by   + Show Post

I am an emotional wreck. I had a doctor's appointment this morning, I have ulcerative colitis that has been left untreated (for the most part) for quite some time, (shame on me) however I was having (almost) no symptoms and considered myself to be in remission for the past 2 years. I was taking sulfasalazine at some point in my pregnancy and for the 1st few months post-partum, my OB/GYN had told me it was safe and DS suffered no adverse side effects. Around the end of August I started having awful symptoms: nausea, diarrhea, gas, constipation, bloody/mucousy stool- all characteristic of U.C. so my husband made me an appt. with the G.I. and I went in today. Well I gave the doc the rundown and he re-prescribed me sulfasalazine, which I had told him wasn't really helping (I started taking it again with the onset of syptoms) so he upped the dose and said he was pretty sure it was safe to continue nursing on it but he had to go check, so I was content for about 5 minutes until he came back to the room and said it wasn't safe and he could prescribe me anything else because I have no insurance and the other meds are at least 800 dollars a month, which we cannot afford at all, so I asked how much the sulfasalazine would be signifacantly less and then said it wouldn't matter which I took anyway since they were all in the same family, and with DS being 14 months there really wasn't a need to continue! Grrrr. I was both distraught and enraged. Unfortunaley DH was with me when I was told all of this, and I had spent so much time convincing him to let me allow DS to self-wean. Well when we got to the car we started discussing and I tried to explain than most healthcare professionals are uneducated in the area of BFing and that I would try to make some calls and check LACTMED when we got home, but DH was adamant and said that the doc must know because he went and checked, this pissed me off.... A LOT! Of course I came home and checked LactMed and it said that weaning was not necessary, and that the child should just be observed for diarrhea and possibly blood in stool, however that it was a very rare occurence. DS is about 14 months old and I will be on prednisone for a month before starting the sulfasalazine, so the doc told me to have him weaned by the time I switch from prednisone to sulfasalazine, and neither DS nor I are anywhere near ready for that. ;'-( I don't know what to do, DH understands the benefits of BFing, but says I'm not going to be doing that if it's putting chemicals in our sons body that may cause him to have health problems later on. What I found on LACTmed works for me, I'm fine with observing (don't all moms do so in any case?) and the fact that I was already taking the medication previously and DS hasn't shown any side effects makes me feel comfortable enough to continue until such a time as we are both ready to be done. I AM SO LOST, I CAN'T TAKE IT. PLEASE HELP! Any advice will be greatly appreciated. TYIA :-)

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Replies (21-27):
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Have you considered calling your doctor and asking where he/she got information from?  You could educate your doctor about the 2 best places for information regarding medications and breastfeeding.  If you can educate your doctor and your doctor changes his/her tune you have no issue with DH.

That being said...I have concerns when there is a spouse who is very controlling.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Very true, not to mention we will most likely be moving back to Michigan in December and this may compromise DS even more!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

There are risks in everything but imagine the risk of going into the winter season without the immunities from breastmilk!? Thats a major risk there!

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I have considered this, I will be going back for a check-up in 2 weeks, and I may re-open the discussion with my doctor. I'm just nervous that if I do, he will push back and the plan may backfire. It's just that I've heard so many "horror" stories of moms being forced to wean because their docs didn't know better, and/or doctors presented with the apppropriate info denied it's validity. :-/ I never thought I'd be on the receiving end being told to wean.

And again please let me point out my DH is not controlling. I tried to have a discussion with him immediately after leaving the hospital about it but he was adamant about heeding the doctor's advice, especially since I had yet to present him with any evidence as to why continuing to BF would be safe even while I'm on the medication, and quite possibly less risky than weaning.  This is not about what DH wants or what I want, it's about his concern for our son's health. :-) 

DH and I did talk about it last night and he is opening up to the idea. I really want to get on the phone with the infant risk hotline, so he can hear from them, however I've tried to call like 10 times over the past 2 days and the phone just rings and rings with no answer. :-( I will keep trying to get through, but at any rate I will not be weaning, and I'm sure DH will come around.

Quoting IrishIz:

Have you considered calling your doctor and asking where he/she got information from?  You could educate your doctor about the 2 best places for information regarding medications and breastfeeding.  If you can educate your doctor and your doctor changes his/her tune you have no issue with DH.

That being said...I have concerns when there is a spouse who is very controlling.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Yes, I am in a similar situation. I'm glad someone in here understands as I do that my DH is not controlling and rather just very caring and perhaps overly concerned with the health of his family. :-) He never would have brought up weaning on his own, as he knows my feelings on the situation, but only
"wants" me to quit because the doctor told us that it wasn't safe to BF on this medication. My husband is also gone a lot while he is working and we rarely see eachother, so the fact that he even had the time to make the appt. and go there with me  directly after finishing a 14 hour shift, his 10th straight day of work with no sleep in over 36 hours does nothing but show how much he cares. :-)

Quoting jamamama00:

This is one of those posts that makes me glad that my husband never has a shittin' clue what is going on w/ me and the babies LOL. Have you tried to explain to your husband that medical professionals pretty much have to recommend against these meds, lest they put themselves in a vulnerable position for lawsuits? I'm also wondering if your DH is overreacting a little because he's worried about you guys.....I once let a fever slide for a week or so and ended up in the ER when DH had been pestering me to go see the doc all week. Now my DH is overly adamant that I seek medical attn when I am the least bit sick. Maybe it's the same w/ you?

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I'm sorry about not understanding your husband's stance.  It sounded like he may have been trying to control the situation without realize that his opinion was a small portion of it.  I'm glad there's a misunderstanding there.

I would call the doctor ahead of time and have a conversation.  You can point out where accurate information can be obtained so that the doctor can research before you get there.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I have considered this, I will be going back for a check-up in 2 weeks, and I may re-open the discussion with my doctor. I'm just nervous that if I do, he will push back and the plan may backfire. It's just that I've heard so many "horror" stories of moms being forced to wean because their docs didn't know better, and/or doctors presented with the apppropriate info denied it's validity. :-/ I never thought I'd be on the receiving end being told to wean.

And again please let me point out my DH is not controlling. I tried to have a discussion with him immediately after leaving the hospital about it but he was adamant about heeding the doctor's advice, especially since I had yet to present him with any evidence as to why continuing to BF would be safe even while I'm on the medication, and quite possibly less risky than weaning.  This is not about what DH wants or what I want, it's about his concern for our son's health. :-) 

DH and I did talk about it last night and he is opening up to the idea. I really want to get on the phone with the infant risk hotline, so he can hear from them, however I've tried to call like 10 times over the past 2 days and the phone just rings and rings with no answer. :-( I will keep trying to get through, but at any rate I will not be weaning, and I'm sure DH will come around.

Quoting IrishIz:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM

That's okay, I guess I can kind of see why it may have come across that way, especially since I myself was pissed with DH initially for "siding" with the doctor,

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I might just go ahead and do it that way than and call ahead, hopefully it will help.

Quoting IrishIz:

I'm sorry about not understanding your husband's stance.  It sounded like he may have been trying to control the situation without realize that his opinion was a small portion of it.  I'm glad there's a misunderstanding there.

I would call the doctor ahead of time and have a conversation.  You can point out where accurate information can be obtained so that the doctor can research before you get there.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Quoting IrishIz:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this
If your doctor questions the validity of the national institutes of health (where lactmed comes from), then he's hopeless in this situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN