Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Hand expressing question + possible plugged duct/mastitis starting--edited added edit. edit again

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:59 AM
  • 6 Replies

My right breast was getting full, so I decided to hand express to see how I'd do and to save it for later during our cross country trip. In any case I watched the videos on hand expressing. They say to express in the manner they show (I try, but my fingers keep sliding) and to rotate the hands when the stream turns to a trickle. They also say it may take time for the milk to flow. My milk flows immediately first of all. Second of all my spray doesn't seem to die down. Am I just not going long enough? I take a few minute breaks here and there, but I've been hand expressing this breast for near an hour! It's softened but there is no signs of my stream turning to a trickle. Baby has no other signs of oversupply, and this is my less used breast. I can do the same on the left side too, so I don't think that's a factor. I also decided to hand express because I was feeling a knot and baby is sleeping. I have gotten 2oz so far (a lot for me at this time of night) and I normally stop for a few reasons 1) the knot goes away, 2) my hand starts feeling uncomfortable, and mainly 3) it's tedious! I know I don't have to do it, but I just wanted to do a test to see how much I could get hand expressing. Apparently I can get a near unlimited amount provided I just don't stop!

Added: I also have the issue of literally spraying over my target and across the room with the different sprays going at weird angles. Is this common?

Added: The knot this time is not clearing very well and I noticed some redness developing. I'm not sure it it's from expressing or if I'm developing a case of mastitis. Gonna try and see if the baby will dream feed after I take a shower.

Added: Been trying a warm rice sock, having baby feed, manual expression, etc. Those seemed to have gotten rid of the clog (I don't feel one), but the redness is spreading.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:25 AM
Could be a plugged duct then. I got them often because of my oversupply. Massage it regularly, try a warm cloth on it before massaging. When you do nurse, try to position her chin pointing at the plug. If you develop a fever head to the dr, could be turning into mastitis.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Do you have a pump?  Massage it while you pump if you can't get her to dreamfeed well enough for you.  All day today (I'm sure you'll see this when you wake up as it's 4:30 your time)... start each feeding on that breast, massaging that spot, and pointing her chin towards it.  It sounds like a plugged duct, which can go pretty quickly to mastitis in some people (like me).  Your job today is to get it moving.  In between feedings, alternate heat and ice, take advil to reduce the inflammation so the clog can move, and just do as much removal as you can.  Good luck!

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Express into a red wine glass. The big bowl and narrow opening of this glass is perfect for hand expressing. I discovered this on a trip when I didn't bring my pump. I should market them as "hand expression tools". :p
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RozyMama
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM
If it's very painful and you develop a fever and flu symptoms, call the doc. But you can avoid it if you work to get that clog cleared. Swelling and redness may remain for a few days after a nasty clogged duct... You only worry when it starts to make you sick. You will know if you are getting sick, it is the worst. Headache, child, generalized pain, fever, total misery hit-by-a-truck feeling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM

The spraying in differnt directions is normal. Hope an extra feed helped.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM

This.  As long as you don't feel sick, it may clear on its own now that the clog is gone.

Quoting RozyMama:

If it's very painful and you develop a fever and flu symptoms, call the doc. But you can avoid it if you work to get that clog cleared. Swelling and redness may remain for a few days after a nasty clogged duct... You only worry when it starts to make you sick. You will know if you are getting sick, it is the worst. Headache, child, generalized pain, fever, total misery hit-by-a-truck feeling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN