Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rice cereal (spoon fed) Yay or Nay??

Posted by   + Show Post
Go!

Edit- NOT causing drama!! I needed I hear arguments on both sides. I'm skipping it this time and needed ideas to support my decision to explain it to my family and would also like to hear reasons to give it. People are so touchy!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Replies (51-60):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:01 PM

No to drama, just the latest research for you! You can tell your well meaning family that the AMerican Academyy of Pediatrics no longer recommends rice cereal.

No to rice cereal:

Rice Cereal Can Wait, Let Them Eat Meat First: AAP committee has changes in mind

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/57384155.aspx?MsdVisit=1

Good Foods for Baby:

https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/good-foods-babies

“Why do so many babies start with cereal?”

Cereal may be traditional, but it is not necessarily one of the best first foods. Iron-fortified rice cereal has been suggested as a first food in the past because of the belief that it was “hypoallergenic” and was a good source of iron. A review of research by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) finds those reasons to be invalid. 1 Newer thinking suggests beginning with foods that are naturally nutrient-rich. For example, meat is naturally rich in iron and zinc. In any case, breastfed babies usually get all the iron they need from their mother's milk up until at least six months of age. 2 If your doctor is concerned about iron levels, a simple blood test can be done right in the office.

No to spoon feeding: 

Letting Baby Eat Finger Foods May Spur Healthier Weight

Babies who are spoon-fed purees more likely to prefer sweets, become overweight, study says

http://consumer.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=661474

TTC2Long
by Gina on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM
Naw, ask whatever questions you want. :) Just with this topic, maybe put in the op that you are just looking for info, not a debate. It rarely works out that way. But you can always try! ;)

Quoting jen282:

I had no idea! I know better to never mention again! Lol

Quoting TTC2Long:

Unfortunately, there is rarely a rice cereal post that doesn't become drama. :/ It's one of THOSE issues. This isn't even that bad!

Quoting jen282:

It is sad! I meant nothing by it. I just wante to know how many people were going to skip it too

Quoting Honeybunches26:

Then that's awesome because its really sad when ppl want to make drama

Quoting jen282:

No, it's not a troll post I wanted to get info to support my decision to not do rice cereal this time. My family looked at me crazy when I told them.

Quoting Honeybunches26:

Wow sometimes I just shake my head and wonder why ppl want to cause drama...

Quoting melindabelcher:

Jmo but I'm guessing this is a stir/troll post

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucaslexie
by Hollie on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Nay :)
I made the mistake of giving dd rice cereal at around 5 months old. Worst idea ever and will not be making the same mistake with any future kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimhawk
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Definitely not. It does absolutely nothing for baby but fill his tummy up with empty calories. It blocks baby from getting all of the nutrients you provide. And until a year they really need nothing else.

Mom_to_Skyler
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM
No
catholicmamamia
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Never, ever! 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM

i didnt know with my oldest but luckily he HATED it and refused to eat it lol 

Quoting eleechick:

Wow I wish I had know this stuff before I fed it to my son I was always told to feed it to him and still do sometimes with it mixed with other baby foods.

seraphimsong
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Nay
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
perezamberly
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Wow i didn't know this. Where'd you hear that?

Quoting Nicolle_09:

No

Why because it can block the iron in moms milk from being absorbed by baby leading to anemia. Its over processed and humans do not produce the enzyme to break down grains till close to a year. Its not really good for babies. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)