Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Rice cereal (spoon fed) Yay or Nay??

Posted by   + Show Post
Go!

Edit- NOT causing drama!! I needed I hear arguments on both sides. I'm skipping it this time and needed ideas to support my decision to explain it to my family and would also like to hear reasons to give it. People are so touchy!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Replies (61-70):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
So when can the USDA jump on board with the aap? I'm forced to have a dr note so my daughter isn't fed this c rap at daycare because they receive a grant from the USDA and have to feed it to all kids 4-12 mo!!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

No to drama, just the latest research for you! You can tell your well meaning family that the AMerican Academyy of Pediatrics no longer recommends rice cereal.

No to rice cereal:

Rice Cereal Can Wait, Let Them Eat Meat First: AAP committee has changes in mind

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/57384155.aspx?MsdVisit=1

Good Foods for Baby:

https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/good-foods-babies

“Why do so many babies start with cereal?”

Cereal may be traditional, but it is not necessarily one of the best first foods. Iron-fortified rice cereal has been suggested as a first food in the past because of the belief that it was “hypoallergenic” and was a good source of iron. A review of research by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) finds those reasons to be invalid. 1 Newer thinking suggests beginning with foods that are naturally nutrient-rich. For example, meat is naturally rich in iron and zinc. In any case, breastfed babies usually get all the iron they need from their mother's milk up until at least six months of age. 2 If your doctor is concerned about iron levels, a simple blood test can be done right in the office.

No to spoon feeding: 

Letting Baby Eat Finger Foods May Spur Healthier Weight

Babies who are spoon-fed purees more likely to prefer sweets, become overweight, study says

http://consumer.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=661474

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM

which part? Ive learned it in here from links that others have posted and from my own research over the past almost 4 years. I think there maybe some links in the resource sticky but I cant remember. skim the replies here too theres some info posted. 

Quoting perezamberly:

Wow i didn't know this. Where'd you hear that?

Quoting Nicolle_09:

No

Why because it can block the iron in moms milk from being absorbed by baby leading to anemia. Its over processed and humans do not produce the enzyme to break down grains till close to a year. Its not really good for babies. 

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting perezamberly:

Kellymom.com has some good info explaining it:

The iron in breastmilk is bound to proteins which make it available to the baby only, thus preventing potentially harmful bacteria (like E.coli, Salmonella, Clostridium, Bacteroides, Escherichia, Staphylococcus) from using it. These two specialized proteins in breastmilk (lactoferrin and transferrin) pick up and bind iron from baby’s intestinal tract. By binding this iron, they

stop harmful bacteria from multiplying by depriving them of the iron they need to live and grow, and
ensure that baby (not the bacteria) gets the available iron.
The introduction of iron supplements and iron-fortified foods, particularly during the first six months, reduces the efficiency of baby’s iron absorption. As long as your baby is exclusively breastfed (and receiving no iron supplements or iron-fortified foods), the specialized proteins in breastmilk ensure that baby gets the available iron (instead of “bad” bacteria and such). Iron supplements and iron in other foods is available on a first come, first served basis, and there is a regular “free-for-all” in the baby’s gut over it. The “bad” bacteria thrive on the free iron in the gut. In addition, iron supplements can overwhelm the iron-binding abilities of the proteins in breastmilk, thus making some of the iron from breastmilk (which was previously available to baby only) available to bacteria, also. The result: baby tends to get a lower percentage of the available iron.

Supplemental iron (particularly when administered in solution or as a separate supplement rather than incorporated into a meal) can interfere with zinc absorption. In addition, iron supplements and iron-fortified foods can sometimes cause digestive upsets in babies.

A recent study (Dewey 2002) found that routine iron supplementation of breastfed babies with normal hemoglobin levels may present risks to the infant, including slower growth (length and head circumference) and increased risk of diarrhea.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:47 PM
This

Quoting Nicolle_09:

No

Why because it can block the iron in moms milk from being absorbed by baby leading to anemia. Its over processed and humans do not produce the enzyme to break down grains till close to a year. Its not really good for babies. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:51 PM

No, not at all. It has no nutritional value and unless your child is underweight or something like that then it is just a filler. with their tummies being so little i think it's important to make each meal count, so why use empty calories?? 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM
The information that Maggiemom posted is the best on this issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:07 PM
This exactly

Quoting Nicolle_09:

No

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

It was hard to tell what you were looking for with your original wording.

But a word to the wise? One of the privileges of being an adult is that you NEVER have to explain anything to your family. Just like Mary Poppins, who made it a policy never to explain anything.

"Need to know" is an excellent policy... and there's very little anyone else needs to know.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:26 AM
ARESENIC need i say more?? Big fat NAY on my end
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittneyfulper
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM
Nay. We never used it, baby is 12 months. My family insisted that bm alone would not be enough for 6 months. They were wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)