Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Rice cereal (spoon fed) Yay or Nay??

Posted by   + Show Post
Go!

Edit- NOT causing drama!! I needed I hear arguments on both sides. I'm skipping it this time and needed ideas to support my decision to explain it to my family and would also like to hear reasons to give it. People are so touchy!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Replies (71-80):
mamabens
by Miranda on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Where did you say that?? You aren't  the op & this is the first reply I see from you on this thread. I'm confused. lol

Quoting jenesis915:

Quoting Nicolle_09:

No

Why because it can block the iron in moms milk from being absorbed by baby leading to anemia. Its over processed and humans do not produce the enzyme to break down grains till close to a year. Its not really good for babies. 

I said rice not grain.  

melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
She told me it was supposed to say *it

Quoting mamabens:

Where did you say that?? You aren't  the op & this is the first reply I see from you on this thread. I'm confused. lol

Quoting jenesis915:

Quoting Nicolle_09:

No

Why because it can block the iron in moms milk from being absorbed by baby leading to anemia. Its over processed and humans do not produce the enzyme to break down grains till close to a year. Its not really good for babies. 

I said rice not grain.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:28 AM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AndriaBell
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Nope. I never give my babies that crap. It is not nutritional. Hot first food we shaft with proteins (as now recommended). So they get the iron. Then veg and fruit. We do oatmeal (home made real oatmeal, or home made real rice. If they are still really little (7-8 months) I with mash it or use a hand blender to blend it. Other wise I just cook it until soft. My ds never liked purées so I cut up soft food very small and let him feed himself! He eat steak before he had teeth and loved it ( he didn't get teeth until after he was one)
AndriaBell
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Quoting melindabelcher:

This is confusing as this is no OP. and rice is a grain!!!!! Lol. That's why she said this! Babies can't process rice (which is a grain) or other grains well. As well it DOES block the adsorption of the iron in moms milk. The iron in proteins do not- and are a great option for first foods. As my other post states. Maybe look up open guy and baby led solids, or baby led weaning for more info!
CafeMom Tickers
mama2gg
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Ha rice is a grain

Quoting jenesis915:

Quoting Nicolle_09:

No

I said rice not grain.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Sells
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Why do you need to explain anything to your family? It's your baby. 

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Nay...non-nutritional filler.

MamaLauraWilson
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM
My girls go to a daycare that uses usda program and she told me as long as I am bringing breastmilk, then they don't have to serve her anything.

Quoting audmom1218:

So when can the USDA jump on board with the aap? I'm forced to have a dr note so my daughter isn't fed this c rap at daycare because they receive a grant from the USDA and have to feed it to all kids 4-12 mo!!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

No to drama, just the latest research for you! You can tell your well meaning family that the AMerican Academyy of Pediatrics no longer recommends rice cereal.

No to rice cereal:

Rice Cereal Can Wait, Let Them Eat Meat First: AAP committee has changes in mind

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/57384155.aspx?MsdVisit=1

Good Foods for Baby:

https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/good-foods-babies

“Why do so many babies start with cereal?”

Cereal may be traditional, but it is not necessarily one of the best first foods. Iron-fortified rice cereal has been suggested as a first food in the past because of the belief that it was “hypoallergenic” and was a good source of iron. A review of research by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) finds those reasons to be invalid. 1 Newer thinking suggests beginning with foods that are naturally nutrient-rich. For example, meat is naturally rich in iron and zinc. In any case, breastfed babies usually get all the iron they need from their mother's milk up until at least six months of age. 2 If your doctor is concerned about iron levels, a simple blood test can be done right in the office.

No to spoon feeding: 

Letting Baby Eat Finger Foods May Spur Healthier Weight

Babies who are spoon-fed purees more likely to prefer sweets, become overweight, study says

http://consumer.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=661474

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristysAngels
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Yes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)