Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

11 month old granddaughter has UTI. :-( Strangely not OT

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM
  • 42 Replies

My DS has a DD with my neighbor's daughter (AD for short).  We live in GA.  DS & DIL live in OH.  AD took GD to visit DS and DIL last Wednesday.  GD got a fever Wednesday night.  DIL called Pedi and got her in Friday.  DIL told him about symptoms including strong urine smell.  Dr checks GD & says virus, keep her fever down & hydrated.  Bring her back next week if she's not better.

Last night fever spikes to 102.8  DIL takes her back thinking ear infection.  DS had them frequently as a child.  Pedi checks ears, nose, & throat.  All are fine.  When he touches her neck, GD cries.  Pedi calls for DS to come to office & starts checking for meningitis.  Meanwhile, GD pees and odor is off the charts.  Pedi checks diaper area and finds discharge in her privates.  They find bacterial UTI.  Pedi says GD must stay with them until she is fever free without meds for 48 hours.  GD was supposed to come back tomorrow.  :-(

Pedi wants them limit her BM intake, citing BM as the possible cause.  He says that if AD drinks lots of caffeinated/sweet drinks, it can cause the UTI.  He also suggested poor bathing habits, letting GD sit in a dirty diaper, or wiping wrong.  Thing is none of these apply.  AD drinks mostly decaf, lightly sweetened tea (I make) or water.  She spends a lot of time at our house.  GD is changed and bathed frequently.  We are all stumped on how GD would have gotten this UTI.  He did ask questions about sexual abuse, but remarked he only asked because he is required to.  GD shows no signs of sexual abuse.

Has anyone ever heard of a BF baby getting a UTI from "bad" BM?   Wouldn't they want to increase her BM intake to make use of the antibodies?  Also, BM is all GD has wanted.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dark_xiii_angel
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM
I have never heard of a bm UTI connection. Some people are prone to UTIs. I get them all the time and have since I was little. I finished antibiotics 2 weeks ago and now have another UTI.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dark_xiii_angel
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Forgot to add. I hope she feels better soon. Poor baby UTIs are terrible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Uti's just happen sometimes. My dd got a really bad one once. She had no symptoms at all until she started screaming in pain while peeing. Her urine was very cloudy, puss filled and greenish. She had one bout of diareah a few days before and had an accident. That caused her uti. Just smile and nod at the doc. Nursing is not a possible cause of he uti.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moogie1005
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:23 PM

AD & I and everyone else that lives here don't believe it, but DS & DIL believe him.  There's not much we can do until she comes home.  We are all hoping her fever stabilizes quickly, so they will bring her back.

Moogie1005
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to get them a lot, but I tend to wipe the wrong way.  Not sure where hers is coming from.

Quoting dark_xiii_angel:

I have never heard of a bm UTI connection. Some people are prone to UTIs. I get them all the time and have since I was little. I finished antibiotics 2 weeks ago and now have another UTI.

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

There are also physical causes to UTIs that the baby either out grows or needs corrected by surgery.  What does the child's pediatrician say?  I got UTIs frequently as a child.  I even had surgery to treat stenosis of the urethra when I was little.  I've never-ever heard of breast milk contributing to a uti.  This doctor sounds flaky.

Moogie1005
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Her regular pedi's office said she could come home as long as her fever is under control. We didn't know about the UTI until after AD had called. I'm sure AD will take her for a follow up when she gets back.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

There are also physical causes to UTIs that the baby either out grows or needs corrected by surgery.  What does the child's pediatrician say?  I got UTIs frequently as a child.  I even had surgery to treat stenosis of the urethra when I was little.  I've never-ever heard of breast milk contributing to a uti.  This doctor sounds flaky.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM
My sister used to get them all the time, and had to only take showers from toddlerhood on... Short urethras can cause them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjp2707
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this
She needs to be tested for urinary reflux. Especially having one do young.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

No, had not heard that.. :o/  Breastmilk does contain antibodies which will boost the immune system to help fight infection, though. The mother should definitely contain breastfeeding!

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)