Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

11 month old granddaughter has UTI. :-( Strangely not OT

Posted by   + Show Post

My DS has a DD with my neighbor's daughter (AD for short).  We live in GA.  DS & DIL live in OH.  AD took GD to visit DS and DIL last Wednesday.  GD got a fever Wednesday night.  DIL called Pedi and got her in Friday.  DIL told him about symptoms including strong urine smell.  Dr checks GD & says virus, keep her fever down & hydrated.  Bring her back next week if she's not better.

Last night fever spikes to 102.8  DIL takes her back thinking ear infection.  DS had them frequently as a child.  Pedi checks ears, nose, & throat.  All are fine.  When he touches her neck, GD cries.  Pedi calls for DS to come to office & starts checking for meningitis.  Meanwhile, GD pees and odor is off the charts.  Pedi checks diaper area and finds discharge in her privates.  They find bacterial UTI.  Pedi says GD must stay with them until she is fever free without meds for 48 hours.  GD was supposed to come back tomorrow.  :-(

Pedi wants them limit her BM intake, citing BM as the possible cause.  He says that if AD drinks lots of caffeinated/sweet drinks, it can cause the UTI.  He also suggested poor bathing habits, letting GD sit in a dirty diaper, or wiping wrong.  Thing is none of these apply.  AD drinks mostly decaf, lightly sweetened tea (I make) or water.  She spends a lot of time at our house.  GD is changed and bathed frequently.  We are all stumped on how GD would have gotten this UTI.  He did ask questions about sexual abuse, but remarked he only asked because he is required to.  GD shows no signs of sexual abuse.

Has anyone ever heard of a BF baby getting a UTI from "bad" BM?   Wouldn't they want to increase her BM intake to make use of the antibodies?  Also, BM is all GD has wanted.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Check out the info here:http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/baby-illness/

That is the craziest thing I ever hear! Baby needs the comfort, fluids, and antibodies from breastfeeding. That baby should be allowed to be on the breast 24/7!

My son had two UTIs at under a year (it turned out he had urinary tract reflux) and I was never told to limit breastfeeding. That is just silly.
sofia0587
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd had a uti at 11 months dr insisted I nurse to keep her hydrated because she had a fever for a week and gave her antibiotics
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Your granddaughter is there with her mom? They can't make her not nurse! The doctor is completely wrong. She should nurse constantly, not limit nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:43 AM
This is what caused my younger cousins. She had them for 2 years before they looked into it any further. I would ask to be transferred back to their regular doctor! And encourage testing now before she dries up and baby gets another infection.

Quoting mjp2707:

She needs to be tested for urinary reflux. Especially having one do young.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:45 AM
And i suggest giving her a link to this page so she can read all of our replies/experiences!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moogie1005
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I agree, but GD is in Ohio with DS & DIL.  Her Mom lives next door to us here in Georgia.  Her regular pedi here says she can come home if fever is controlled by meds.  Pedi up there says she has to be fever free without meds for 48 hours before she can come home.

I'll research urinary tract reflux.  That may be the answer to how.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Check out the info here:http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/baby-illness/

That is the craziest thing I ever hear! Baby needs the comfort, fluids, and antibodies from breastfeeding. That baby should be allowed to be on the breast 24/7!

My son had two UTIs at under a year (it turned out he had urinary tract reflux) and I was never told to limit breastfeeding. That is just silly.

melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM
mom needs to continue bf.
My daughter had a uti as a little one and our dr sent her to a urologist. Utis with fevers need to be investigated for urinary reflux. If she has the reflux and left untreated it can cause permanent damage to her kidneys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM
They can sign her out AMA.

Quoting Moogie1005:

I agree, but GD is in Ohio with DS & DIL.  Her Mom lives next door to us here in Georgia.  Her regular pedi here says she can come home if fever is controlled by meds.  Pedi up there says she has to be fever free without meds for 48 hours before she can come home.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moogie1005
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM

She isn't in the hospital.  DS & DIL usually meet AD at the halfway point to transfer baby.  They refuse to bring her until dr's requirements are met.  They also believe the BS about the BM.

Quoting melindabelcher:

They can sign her out AMA.

Quoting Moogie1005:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Rlambert6002
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I think the pedi is acting rather negligently and sounds like he may be anti-bf'ing. I don't understand why with all of the other possible and more likely causes of a UTI ( soap in bathwater, contamination from someone changing the diaper, etc.) he would just assume that the mom is a caffeine guzzler and say not to breastfeed. I would totally ignore that advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN