Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

11 month old granddaughter has UTI. :-( Strangely not OT

Posted by   + Show Post

My DS has a DD with my neighbor's daughter (AD for short).  We live in GA.  DS & DIL live in OH.  AD took GD to visit DS and DIL last Wednesday.  GD got a fever Wednesday night.  DIL called Pedi and got her in Friday.  DIL told him about symptoms including strong urine smell.  Dr checks GD & says virus, keep her fever down & hydrated.  Bring her back next week if she's not better.

Last night fever spikes to 102.8  DIL takes her back thinking ear infection.  DS had them frequently as a child.  Pedi checks ears, nose, & throat.  All are fine.  When he touches her neck, GD cries.  Pedi calls for DS to come to office & starts checking for meningitis.  Meanwhile, GD pees and odor is off the charts.  Pedi checks diaper area and finds discharge in her privates.  They find bacterial UTI.  Pedi says GD must stay with them until she is fever free without meds for 48 hours.  GD was supposed to come back tomorrow.  :-(

Pedi wants them limit her BM intake, citing BM as the possible cause.  He says that if AD drinks lots of caffeinated/sweet drinks, it can cause the UTI.  He also suggested poor bathing habits, letting GD sit in a dirty diaper, or wiping wrong.  Thing is none of these apply.  AD drinks mostly decaf, lightly sweetened tea (I make) or water.  She spends a lot of time at our house.  GD is changed and bathed frequently.  We are all stumped on how GD would have gotten this UTI.  He did ask questions about sexual abuse, but remarked he only asked because he is required to.  GD shows no signs of sexual abuse.

Has anyone ever heard of a BF baby getting a UTI from "bad" BM?   Wouldn't they want to increase her BM intake to make use of the antibodies?  Also, BM is all GD has wanted.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Replies (21-30):
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Some people are just prone to UTI's, i've gotten them my whole life and lots when I was  a baby.  It's just something that happens, it dosn't necessarily mean the parents are doing anything wrong.  I've never heard of breast milk causing a UTI and it's important that she stay hydrated so I would adivse her to continue breastfeeding as usual.  Also some bubble baths can cause UTI's so there's a possible cause, do they use bubble bath?

CafeMom Tickers
Moogie1005
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Both households use Johnson's baby wash.

Quoting cabrandy03:

Some people are just prone to UTI's, i've gotten them my whole life and lots when I was  a baby.  It's just something that happens, it dosn't necessarily mean the parents are doing anything wrong.  I've never heard of breast milk causing a UTI and it's important that she stay hydrated so I would adivse her to continue breastfeeding as usual.  Also some bubble baths can cause UTI's so there's a possible cause, do they use bubble bath?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moogie1005
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM
None of us in GA believe it. Problem is GD is in OH with DS & DIL. They believe him.

Quoting Rlambert6002:

I think the pedi is acting rather negligently and sounds like he may be anti-bf'ing. I don't understand why with all of the other possible and more likely causes of a UTI ( soap in bathwater, contamination from someone changing the diaper, etc.) he would just assume that the mom is a caffeine guzzler and say not to breastfeed. I would totally ignore that advice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Ped is an idiot to cut down on BM..plaina nd simple

ria7
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Quoting dark_xiii_angel:

I have never heard of a bm UTI connection. Some people are prone to UTIs. I get them all the time and have since I was little. I finished antibiotics 2 weeks ago and now have another UTI.

ARe you on birth control or using tampons. I had frequent UTI's in college and went to a natural doctor. He said to get off BC and quit using tampons. Honestly I have no idea why but it worked...

Meglet1970
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Oh my!  Please take the baby to a different doctor for a second opinion.  My daughter had a UTI as a baby.  They do try to make you feel like you are a horrible mother.  She was diagnosed with urinary reflux, where the urine was going from the bladder back toward the kidneys.  She outgrew it, but was on antibiotics for 4 years to keep her from getting UTIs and causing scar tissue to form.  Your granddaughter should be checked for that.

jamamama00
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I can't imagine why in the world the doc would point to BM as a possible cause before exploring other options. The thing is, if the girl poops, then she is at risk for UTI's. Simple as that. Some girls are more prone to them than others. This can be for different reasons (like a shortened urethra or whatever it's called.) There is really no way of knowing if this is the cause until later on in life. If she starts getting them a lot, then the doctors will eventually do more tests to see if something is wrong. But like I said, it's more than likely a freak thing...it only takes one little microscopic bit of fecal bacteria on the vagina to start an infection.

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Yep

Quoting jamamama00:

I can't imagine why in the world the doc would point to BM as a possible cause before exploring other options. The thing is, if the girl poops, then she is at risk for UTI's. Simple as that. Some girls are more prone to them than others. This can be for different reasons (like a shortened urethra or whatever it's called.) There is really no way of knowing if this is the cause until later on in life. If she starts getting them a lot, then the doctors will eventually do more tests to see if something is wrong. But like I said, it's more than likely a freak thing...it only takes one little microscopic bit of fecal bacteria on the vagina to start an infection.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dark_xiii_angel
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Nope neither. They have no idea what keeps causing them. I had a scope done on my bladder and several other tests and they have no clue. I'm glad it worked for you! UTIs are terrible!

Quoting ria7:

Quoting dark_xiii_angel:

I have never heard of a bm UTI connection. Some people are prone to UTIs. I get them all the time and have since I was little. I finished antibiotics 2 weeks ago and now have another UTI.

ARe you on birth control or using tampons. I had frequent UTI's in college and went to a natural doctor. He said to get off BC and quit using tampons. Honestly I have no idea why but it worked...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:10 PM
The mother isn't there with her baby? How old is this child? She needs to go get her and bring her home so she can care for her properly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN