Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

can you get prego while breastfeeding???

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM
  • 21 Replies
Ok,, so I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 5 1/2 month old and I haven't got my cycle yet, but I've been cramping from time to time like it wants to start, so can you get pregnant without having a cycle??
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by Sarah on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Yup. You ovulate before you bleed so you can get pregnant without ever having a period postpartum.
Avetay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM
I know lots of people who Git pregnant while breast feeding. I did but my ds was 15 months. When in doubt take a test. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fahmom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM
It is unlikely but always possible. I am 8 weeks pregnant and breastfeeding my 18 month old but my first cycle returned at 15 months post parting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cpflum08
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, done it two times now:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clasater
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM
I have gotten pregnant twice while I was breastfeeding, once before I had even gotten my period back. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsCorky
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM
My friends mom thought you couldn't get preggo while Ebf and her brother and her are 15 months apart. So ya I'm pretty sure it can happen :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Yep, ds2 was conceived while I was nursing ds1 who was 10 months old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Twix.Leigh
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM
I have been wondering this also. Having symptoms for a couple weeks now, but no period, and a negative test.. so I dunno lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misasue
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:28 PM

yes

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Breastfeeding infertility

For women who meet the criteria (listed below), LAM is 98% - 99.5% effective during the first six months postpartum.[1]

• Breastfeeding must be the infant’s only (or almost only) source of nutrition. Feeding formula, pumping instead of nursing,[2] and feeding solids all reduce the effectiveness of LAM.
  • The infant must breastfeed at least every four hours during the day and at least every six hours at night.
  • The infant must be less than six months old.
  • The mother must not have had a period after 56 days post-partum (when determining fertility, bleeding prior to 56 days post-partum can be ignored).

I will add to this that all sucking needs must be met at the breast--if you use pacifiers or bottles the effectiveness decreases.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN