Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sick while bf

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:40 AM
  • 6 Replies
so i woke up with the stomach bug, everything i read says to continue to bf her. Will she get sick to?? I have milk in the freezer i can give her. Just curious.
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Its best to nurse, baby may or may not get sick but she will get natural antibodies through your milk to help protect her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:55 AM
She most likely has already been exposed so she needs the antibidies in the fresh milk that aren't in the frozen
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucaslexie
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Ok thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabsmom10
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM
I hear ya, I have the same thing as you. And Declan is so clingy today :( hope you feel better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:35 PM

from kellymom:

The best thing you can do for your baby when you’re sick is to continue to breastfeed.When you have a contagious illness such as a cold, flu, or other mild virus, your baby was exposed to the illness before you even knew you were sick. Your milk will not transmit your illness to baby, but it does have antibodies in it that are specific to your illness (plus anything else you or baby have been exposed to) – they’ll help prevent baby from getting sick, or if he does get sick, he’ll probably not be as sick as you.

Withholding your breastmilk during an illness increases
the possibility that baby will get sick, and deprives baby
of the comfort and superior nutrition of nursing.

You can also take measures to prevent baby from getting sick by doing the usual things to prevent the spread of illness: washing hands often, avoid sneezing/coughing on baby, limiting face-to-face contact, etc .

When you’re sick, it can help to just tuck baby into bed beside you and nurse lying down whenever baby gets hungry. If baby starts getting sick and not wanting to nurse, then see Baby refuses to nurse when sick.

Many times moms don’t nurse frequently enough and don’t get enough fluids to keep the milk supply going. Sometimes medications can cause your milk supply to diminish, as well. To avoid a decreased milk supply, drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration, continue to nurse often and avoid/limit any medications that tend to decrease milk supply.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:44 PM
What they said! ^^^
The best thing that you can do for you baby when you're sick is continue to nurse!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)