Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Does this happen to anyone else?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM
  • 23 Replies

My mom breastfed me and my brother over thirty years ago.  She said she still sometimes gets a tingly letdown feeling when she hears a baby cry. 

Now I'm not saying it's not possible, but that seems so weird.  Does this happen to anyone else (moms who are no longer breastfeeding)? 

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LKRA
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm still nursing.

BUT

If my son's not with me, and I see a picture of a baby or hear a baby cry, I feel a tingle.

We were at a birthday party a few weeks ago, and a friend's baby started to cry. I felt letdown instantly. lol

I don't think it's weird, or uncommon, to feel it when you're older. I think it would make me sad to feel it when I'm in my 50s.

shimmifairy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, yes it does...whenever I hear a baby giving that hungry cry I feel like I'm letting down....and my kids are 19 and 13....It's instinct, I guess....just because the ducts are dried up doesn't mean they don't still want to do their job,lol

mamabens
by Miranda on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

totally possible. My son hasn't breastfed in almost 2  yrs & I still feel letdown when  I'm around  babies.

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Wow ok! I sometimes feel letdown at odd non nursing times, but I'm still breastfeeding. It's funny how I never felt it before I had a baby, but that I could feel it for the rest of my life thereafter! How incredible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM
My mother in law said she still produced milk until she went through menopause. My mom said she didn't dry up completely until she had a hysterectomy when I was nine years old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:06 AM
That's amazing!

Quoting BridgetMc:

My mother in law said she still produced milk until she went through menopause. My mom said she didn't dry up completely until she had a hysterectomy when I was nine years old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

My mom still does and I'm 32.

Gruntlings
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Possible. :) I've gotten that tingly feeling when dried up between one nursling weaning and the next being born.

-Sarah
---------------------------------------------------------
Sarah is a mom to three and a moderator in the "Breastfeeding Moms" group. She runs Nurshable.com where she blogs about finding joy in gentle parenting.

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Me too. :)

Quoting K8wizzo:

My mom still does and I'm 32.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

My son weaned eleven years ago. I get the sensation without actual letdown from time to time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)