Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

DH just called me from work saying he saw on the news where a 4 mo old baby passed while co sleeping .. now dh is adamant that we are not co sleeping any more :'(  this scares me also but how am i going to get LO in a crib and get him used to me at work ???

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM

When cosleeping is done correctly and safely its BEST for babies and parents, now when not done safely thats different.

Tell him the most unsafe thing you do everyday is ride in the car, does he plan to walk everywhere?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM

This is because many people who are morbidly obese have sleep apnea which is abnormal sleep, no one wth abnormal sleep should colseep

Quoting Kimbyann:

They should not

Quoting Mrs.Sells:

So fat woman shouldn't co-sleep?

Quoting mamabens:

I'd have him find the source &  find out how the baby died. I'm willing to bet it was UNsafe cosleeping.(between mom & dad, in a recliner or couch, while mom was on drugs or alcohol, soft bedding & thick blankets, & mom obese) If you are cosleeping safely everything should be fine. BTW cosleeping  does not always equal bedsharing.  Sharing a room with your child is also cosleeping. We side carred the crib & slept like that from the day my son was born & at 3 1/2 we are still  sleeping similarly.(toddler bed where the crib was. )

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting misasue:

so i found out it was a dad on the couch....

Not surprised. Let dad know this is the same as when babies die in cars or people get swept off rocks in heavy surf; most of the time it's because someone did something that was patently unsafe but they thought it couldn't happen to them.

i think because it was a dad is why it freaked him out so bad .  i work night shift so he was scared he could do the same i guess without me in the bed... i understand where he is coming from now that we actually got to talk about it instead of his freaked out conversation earlier

mamabens
by Miranda on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Obese women should not co sleep. 

Quoting Mrs.Sells:

Quoting mamabens:

I'd have him find the source &  find out how the baby died. I'm willing to bet it was UNsafe cosleeping.(between mom & dad, in a recliner or couch, while mom was on drugs or alcohol, soft bedding & thick blankets, & mom obese) If you are cosleeping safely everything should be fine. BTW cosleeping  does not always equal bedsharing.  Sharing a room with your child is also cosleeping. We side carred the crib & slept like that from the day my son was born & at 3 1/2 we are still  sleeping similarly.(toddler bed where the crib was. )

ssenter
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Do some research and then provide it to DH my son is 16 months and has always co slept he is healthy as can be and co sleep because I have two friend that their baby's died from SIDS and I couldn't risk it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Sells
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Well then statistically at least 50% of co-sleeping mamas shouldn't 

Quoting mamabens:

Quoting Mrs.Sells:

Quoting mamabens:

teachermama81
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol....I'm considered obese at a size 14. I coslept with both my kids. Still do.

Quoting Mrs.Sells:

Well then statistically at least 50% of co-sleeping mamas shouldn't 

Quoting mamabens:

Quoting Mrs.Sells:

Quoting mamabens:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowLark
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Besides, it could have been SIDS. What then? Personally, I'd rather hold my baby if this is going to be his last night on Earth than have him in a crib in another room!

Quoting IrishIz:

Without knowing what the situation was with co-sleeping you can't really blame co-sleeping.  If a baby died in a crib is it the crib's fault?  If this baby died because of unsafe practices while co-sleeping it's not because of co-sleeping but because of the parents making a choice to NOT BE SAFE.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowLark
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:46 PM
Poor baby! Poor dad! Ugh, that would kill me!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting misasue:

so i found out it was a dad on the couch....

Not surprised. Let dad know this is the same as when babies die in cars or people get swept off rocks in heavy surf; most of the time it's because someone did something that was patently unsafe but they thought it couldn't happen to them.

i think because it was a dad is why it freaked him out so bad .  i work night shift so he was scared he could do the same i guess without me in the bed... i understand where he is coming from now that we actually got to talk about it instead of his freaked out conversation earlier

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daughteroftruth
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM
So show him articals of babies who have passed in cribs. Cribs do not prevent sids.

Quoting misasue:

DH just called me from work saying he saw on the news where a 4 mo old baby passed while co sleeping .. now dh is adamant that we are not co sleeping any more :'(  this scares me also but how am i going to get LO in a crib and get him used to me at work ???

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)