Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

help! infection under arm, is it still safe to breastfeed?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM
  • 29 Replies

ive been getting these cysts under my arm ever since i was pregnant when i shave, i switched razors  but it didnt help, its like an ingrown hair that then gets infected and turns into a painful cyst. usually when i take probiotics it goes away after a few days, a couple times when i was pregnant i got anti-biotics because i was worried. i just started taking probiotics yesterday again, is it ok to wait and see if the probiotics work or should i get antibiotics?

this isnt mastitis its not a milk duct, is it safe to breastfeed or will the baby get the infection??

Babywearing, Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Attachment parenting, Anti-CIO, Crunchy Mama of one beautiful baby boy, Rhythm. <3

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Keep it covered and don't allow baby to touch it and you should be fine.  Extra safety measures would be to wash your breast area before feedings just to make sure.  The only risk to baby would be if the infection can be spread by touching it, it's not going to be a risk of anything in your milk and in fact your milk contains antibodies against that infection.  Have you tried applying breastmilk to it topically or using topical abx on it rather than taking orals?

LucyHourglass
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM

i did try putting breastmilk on it it didnt help, i didnt htink of topical antibiotics?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Keep it covered and don't allow baby to touch it and you should be fine.  Extra safety measures would be to wash your breast area before feedings just to make sure.  The only risk to baby would be if the infection can be spread by touching it, it's not going to be a risk of anything in your milk and in fact your milk contains antibodies against that infection.  Have you tried applying breastmilk to it topically or using topical abx on it rather than taking orals?

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Is it an infection at/near the skin or is it deep inside?

Quoting LucyHourglass:

i did try putting breastmilk on it it didnt help, i didnt htink of topical antibiotics?

Quoting K8wizzo:

ILoveMyFam
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Could it be Hidradenitis Supprativa?  Anyway, as long as baby isn't coming into contact with what is infecting your skin you should be fine.  Keep the area clean and covered.

misasue
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM

could be your deodorant causing it.. i had something similar happen and that was culprit

misasue
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM

you could also try washing underarms with hibiclense its a surgical grade antbacterial wash

LucyHourglass
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM

inside

Quoting K8wizzo:

Is it an infection at/near the skin or is it deep inside?

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting K8wizzo:

LucyHourglass
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM

im thinking it might be, what deoderant did u switch to?

Quoting misasue:

could be your deodorant causing it.. i had something similar happen and that was culprit

LucyHourglass
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM

could i use peroxide?

whaat Quoting misasue:

you could also try washing underarms with hibiclense its a surgical grade antbacterial wash

LucyHourglass
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM

what is that?

Quoting ILoveMyFam:

Could it be Hidradenitis Supprativa?  Anyway, as long as baby isn't coming into contact with what is infecting your skin you should be fine.  Keep the area clean and covered.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)