Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help! infection under arm, is it still safe to breastfeed?

Posted by   + Show Post

ive been getting these cysts under my arm ever since i was pregnant when i shave, i switched razors  but it didnt help, its like an ingrown hair that then gets infected and turns into a painful cyst. usually when i take probiotics it goes away after a few days, a couple times when i was pregnant i got anti-biotics because i was worried. i just started taking probiotics yesterday again, is it ok to wait and see if the probiotics work or should i get antibiotics?

this isnt mastitis its not a milk duct, is it safe to breastfeed or will the baby get the infection??

Babywearing, Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Attachment parenting, Anti-CIO, Crunchy Mama of one beautiful baby boy, Rhythm. <3

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Replies (11-20):
Nolanzo
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM
I had the exact same thing last summer... started out as a large painful whitehead but got deeper and more cystlike.... finally went to the er because the pain was debilitating and I was pregnant... I tested positive for mrsa. They lanced and drained it and put a packing wick in it.... the most effing painful experience of my life. Have u been tested for mrsa?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHourglass
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:18 PM

what is mrsa??

Quoting Nolanzo:

I had the exact same thing last summer... started out as a large painful whitehead but got deeper and more cystlike.... finally went to the er because the pain was debilitating and I was pregnant... I tested positive for mrsa. They lanced and drained it and put a packing wick in it.... the most effing painful experience of my life. Have u been tested for mrsa?

LoveOfWisdom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM
I'd stop shaving for a whole and do the recommendations already listed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHourglass
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM

ugh :( this is gonna be FUN ...hahah

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

LoveOfWisdom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Lol good thing is its getting cold and you can wear long sleeves.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

ugh :( this is gonna be FUN ...hahah

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
devoesgirl
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM
Its an infection resistant to certain antibiotics.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

what is mrsa??

Quoting Nolanzo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ILoveMyFam
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Quoting LucyHourglass:

what is that?

Quoting ILoveMyFam:

Could it be Hidradenitis Supprativa?  Anyway, as long as baby isn't coming into contact with what is infecting your skin you should be fine.  Keep the area clean and covered.

Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is a skin disease that most commonly affects areas bearing apocrine sweat glands or sebaceous glands, such as the underarms, breasts, inner thighs, groin or buttocks.
The non-contagious disease manifests as clusters of chronic abscesses, epidermoid cysts, sebaceous cysts, pilonidal cyst or multilocalised infections, which can be as large as baseballs or as small as a pea. It can also start as a single abcess and once it pops, can make tracks of many more abcesses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidradenitis_suppurativa

LucyHourglass
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM

omg is sounds like i might ave that, througout my life ive gotten them on my inner thigh and i've gotten them on my butt a few times :-/ but mostly its under my arm..

Quoting ILoveMyFam:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

what is that?

Quoting ILoveMyFam:

Could it be Hidradenitis Supprativa?  Anyway, as long as baby isn't coming into contact with what is infecting your skin you should be fine.  Keep the area clean and covered.

Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is a skin disease that most commonly affects areas bearing apocrine sweat glands or sebaceous glands, such as the underarms, breasts, inner thighs, groin or buttocks.
The non-contagious disease manifests as clusters of chronic abscesses, epidermoid cysts, sebaceous cysts, pilonidal cyst or multilocalised infections, which can be as large as baseballs or as small as a pea. It can also start as a single abcess and once it pops, can make tracks of many more abcesses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidradenitis_suppurativa

Char07
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM
I'd try no shaving and no deodorant for a while.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misasue
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:15 PM

secret or dove  and i dont use any of the clinical strength ones. you may want to try just deodorant and not use anti perperant that is the stuff that actually clogs the sweat glands. thats what i did for awhile then found i could use those ones again

Quoting LucyHourglass:

im thinking it might be, what deoderant did u switch to?

Quoting misasue:

could be your deodorant causing it.. i had something similar happen and that was culprit

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)