Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Safe Meds while Breastfeeding

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:04 AM
  • 4 Replies

I'm still pretty new to breastfeeding and would like to know what meds are safe for me to take that wont affect my ds. I'm coming down w/ a cold and I'm so paranoid to take anything but tylenol and motrin. Help, please before this cold gets worse. I usually would let my body fight off sickness on my own but I would like to avoid any unnecessary misery. One time I called my general prac. about this and the front desk lady made it seem like I was calling the wrong place to get info.

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Your favorite cold med is FINE to take. If it's a decongestant, then make sure to drink extra. Stay hydrated.

The only thing off limits: ASPIRIN. Which does nothing for colds anyway.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:10 AM
Most OTC meds are compatible. Look for things that are NOT long lasting powerful formulas. Try to avoid formulas with multiple symptom medication. If possible, try to treat the body parts and not the whole body, I.e. nose sprays are better than oral meds for stuffy noses.

I'm mobile and don't have the link, bu google "Lactmed". Bookmark it to your favorites! It's your go-to page for looking up meds and how they truly work with breastfeeding, instead of the usual "if you are pregnant or nursing, ask your doctor" warnings. Kellymom.com is THE place for your breastfeeding questions. There is a ton there about illnesses and treatments, both natural and pharmaceutical.

Most importantly, drink fluids. Being sick can dehydrate you, and some meds can dehydrate you as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM
I agree with both replies.
I found a homeopathic nasal decongestant spray that can be used longer than three days. It is called sinus buster. I use that on a regular basis for my allergies and take Sudafed when it is really bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilsunshine
by New Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Thank you so much lady. You all are lifesavers.you rock

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)