Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Can I Breast and Bottle Feed?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM
  • 13 Replies

I had a c-section so she was bottlefed right afterwards...she had a tough time breast feeding and keeping her latched so Ive just been bottle feeding...my milk is about to dry up so I want to try to get her on before its gone.

However, due to religious reasons I can't breast feed in public...can I get her to accept my breast and also bottle feed when we are out? She will be half on breast half on bottle, is this possible? What bottles are closest to the breast let down? What should I do now to get her on the breast shes 4 weeks old has never breastfed really :(

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
You can absolutely put her to breast now. watch for early hunger signs. Stop bottles, give milk in a syringe, spoon, open cup etc.
No religion that I'm aware of prohibits bf in public. How would a child survive prior to breast pumps/formula? It can be done modestly. Use a cover if you need to, find a private place, plan your outings around nursing your child.
Whenever baby gets a bottle you need to pump at the same time. Where will you be able to pump while your out? It would be easier to nurse discreetly rather then pump discreetly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

this!

Quoting melindabelcher:

You can absolutely put her to breast now. watch for early hunger signs. Stop bottles, give milk in a syringe, spoon, open cup etc.
No religion that I'm aware of prohibits bf in public. How would a child survive prior to breast pumps/formula? It can be done modestly. Use a cover if you need to, find a private place, plan your outings around nursing your child.
Whenever baby gets a bottle you need to pump at the same time. Where will you be able to pump while your out? It would be easier to nurse discreetly rather then pump discreetly.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Yes, you CAN do both though it's hard. Bottle choice is strictly up to baby, NO bottle mimics the breast all that well and if baby is prone to nipple confusion then it will happen with ANY bottle. You can do a sippy cup... remove the spill proof valve, tip the cup and let baby sip.

As to religious reasons, I haven't come across a faith that doesn't throw out the rules of body modesty when it comes to breastfeeding.

RozyMama
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
The book "Balancing Breast and Bottle" is a very informative guide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
You will probably be fighting nipple confusion/preference a lot. And i bf in public and i promise nobody has seen my boob. What religion are you if you don't mind me asking? If that's too personal i understand
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crisd77
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM
I breast fed and bottle fed my firstborn. The NICU gave him a bottle first & then worked with me to get him use to the breast. Just make sure you get the slowest flow nipple...make the baby work for it as they would on the breast. I had no issues with it...I'm hoping to do that again with my second one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
degsyuna
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I breast and bottle feed. I work full-time so I don't have a choice. Do you give breastmilk in a bottle or formula? If you do formula in bottles then you'll have trouble keeping your supply up. So I'd recommend pumping right before you go out so you have fresh milk.

Hopefully someone will have advice for switching from bottle to breast. We did breast only for about 4 weeks then began introducing the bottle so he was ready when I went back to work. He hasn't had any issues switching between the 2 but I know it's hard to go the other direction.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:22 PM
I'm a Muslim

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

You will probably be fighting nipple confusion/preference a lot. And i bf in public and i promise nobody has seen my boob. What religion are you if you don't mind me asking? If that's too personal i understand

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

i thought it was ok for a Muslim to nurse in public as long as they were covered. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)