Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How many ounces per bottle if switching to formula. ON topic. Thanks. *EDIT*

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, my daughter is 8 months and is able to feed herself bottles now.  I'm ready to wean from nursing and pumping.   I'm not going to give any lame excuses on why I'm doing it.  The truth is, I want my life back.  Yes, I know I will be washing more bottles than ever, yada, yada, yada. I've already weighed the pros and cons, but feel free to provide your suggestions if you think I'm making a mistake.

Here's my question.  Since she is in day care while I'm at work, I need to know how many ounces to provide. With pumped milk, I would send three 5oz bottles.  Should I be sending less, but bigger bottles with the formula?  I am so confused on how to transition.  Thanks, y'all! 

EDIT:  I should've been more specific when I said I want my life back.  That did sound selfish, and I didn't mean it that way.  I just want to get away from the pump.  I hate it.  I LOVE BFing.  I think the suggestions to move to FF and solids during the day and BFing mornings, nights, and weekends is great.  It sounds like I should be able to do that successfully without ruining my supply for those feedings.  If that's the case, I'm totally on board.  If I do that, the amount of bottles to clean won't change, so it would work out just fine. 

Thanks to everyone who didn't bash my decision and those who said they respect my honesty.  I'm glad I'm in this group because you're all very helpful and positive and supportive. 

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Replies (31-40):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:31 PM
4 moms liked this

Molly... just one other thought since this is your first child, per the profile?

You NEVER get your life back. **grin** Still looking for mine, 11 years past weaning! New challenges come in to replace the old ones. (I'll take nursing over puberty and middle school homework... ANY day!)

starburst1680
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Some of these replies are so mean! I agree with Tabi, same amount of formula as you were giving of pumped milk. I wouldn't make the bottles any bigger. You made it 8 months! If you want to wean during the day who cares? Honestly I am in the same boat. I don't want the stress of pumping, making sure I get enough and have enough when I want to go out, carrying the pump, cleaning the parts, etc. We are just dropping the day feedings so I can stop pumping but keeping the night/morning nursing sessions.

hottamolly00
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM
I love all of y'alls suggestions to drop the day sessions/pumping. Does this mean I have to give formula on my days off? Will she get enough EBF on the full days I am with her, since my supply will be regulated to 4 times per day emptying?

Quoting starbu1680:

Some of these replies are so mean! I agree with Tabi, same amount of formula as you were giving of pumped milk. I wouldn't make the bottles any bigger. You made it 8 months! If you want to wean during the day who cares? Honestly I am in the same boat. I don't want the stress of pumping, making sure I get enough and have enough when I want to go out, carrying the pump, cleaning the parts, etc. We are just dropping the day feedings so I can stop pumping but keeping the night/morning nursing sessions.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Quoting hottamolly00:

I love all of y'alls suggestions to drop the day sessions/pumping. Does this mean I have to give formula on my days off?
If it means baby will miss a feeding otherwise, yes... until the first birthday. Then you can offer other subsititutes.
Will she get enough EBF on the full days I am with her, since my supply will be regulated to 4 times per day emptying?
Supply forever adjusts.
Kenzismommy09
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:12 AM
Some of you ladies just make me cringe. I thought this group was for support not bashing? Calling one selfish for wanting to stop is in called for. You may not agree with it but guess what, the child is not yours. You don't have to to make the bottles, deal with the stink or tummy problems. You are in NO WAY supporting her. You can tactfully disagree and state your opinion in a kind way or heck say nothing at all.

Op it's great you made it to 8 months! I only did it one 'month with my first I did give up very easily, I didn't know my birth control wa causing my milk to dry up and I just didn't care. In currently in month 2 of epfing my 2nd daughter and have no goal of when I want to stop I'm just taking it feeding by feeding. I've only posted in here 2-3 times an have got some of the rudest responses or just ignored so I usually just browse the group feed an d learn or google. I would google my question for days before posting it here cause of the way some members act.

I agree I would send the same 3 5oz bottles you have been and if they say she needs more just up it to 6oz. You are doing great don't let others get you down :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:09 AM

No.  Nurse while you're together, formula while you're apart.

Quoting hottamolly00:

I love all of y'alls suggestions to drop the day sessions/pumping. Does this mean I have to give formula on my days off? Will she get enough EBF on the full days I am with her, since my supply will be regulated to 4 times per day emptying?

Quoting starbu1680:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:11 AM
2 moms liked this

She can send it premade.  I doubt that most daycares will take the time to boil the water before adding the powder to the 200+ degree water and then allow it to cool for each and every bottle the way that they should.

Quoting crissydancer05:

dont listen to the bashers, its your life. Good for you for making it this far. Im not a pro, but your daycare should be able to make the formyla on site. Cuz either it needs to be refridgerated right away or used within an hour of being made. And i wouldnt go any less. Around 9 months is usually a growth spurt.

crissydancer05
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Boil the water first? theres no need unless you live in like africa or something. Tap water is perfectly fine and recommended. I let my daycare make their own bottles and she dont care. Although he is almost done with it now.

Quoting K8wizzo:

She can send it premade.  I doubt that most daycares will take the time to boil the water before adding the powder to the 200+ degree water and then allow it to cool for each and every bottle the way that they should.

Quoting crissydancer05:

dont listen to the bashers, its your life. Good for you for making it this far. Im not a pro, but your daycare should be able to make the formyla on site. Cuz either it needs to be refridgerated right away or used within an hour of being made. And i wouldnt go any less. Around 9 months is usually a growth spurt.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hottamolly00
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Haha, thanks. I love my new life as a mommy. I would just like those extra 1-2 hours per day backt that I would otherswise be spent pumping.

quote name="gdiamante" id="0"]

Molly... just one other ought since this is your first child, per the profile?

You NEVER get your life back. **grin** Still looking for mine, 11 years past weaning! New challenges come in to replace the old ones. (I'll take nursing over puberty and middle school homework... ANY day!)

[/quote]
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this

It's not the water that's the issue most of the time--powdered formula is not sterile and several infants died last year (in the US!)from a bacteria that it harbors.

Quoting crissydancer05:

Boil the water first? theres no need unless you live in like africa or something. Tap water is perfectly fine and recommended. I let my daycare make their own bottles and she dont care. Although he is almost done with it now.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting crissydancer05:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)