Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How many ounces per bottle if switching to formula. ON topic. Thanks. *EDIT*

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM
  • 87 Replies
1 mom liked this

Well, my daughter is 8 months and is able to feed herself bottles now.  I'm ready to wean from nursing and pumping.   I'm not going to give any lame excuses on why I'm doing it.  The truth is, I want my life back.  Yes, I know I will be washing more bottles than ever, yada, yada, yada. I've already weighed the pros and cons, but feel free to provide your suggestions if you think I'm making a mistake.

Here's my question.  Since she is in day care while I'm at work, I need to know how many ounces to provide. With pumped milk, I would send three 5oz bottles.  Should I be sending less, but bigger bottles with the formula?  I am so confused on how to transition.  Thanks, y'all! 

EDIT:  I should've been more specific when I said I want my life back.  That did sound selfish, and I didn't mean it that way.  I just want to get away from the pump.  I hate it.  I LOVE BFing.  I think the suggestions to move to FF and solids during the day and BFing mornings, nights, and weekends is great.  It sounds like I should be able to do that successfully without ruining my supply for those feedings.  If that's the case, I'm totally on board.  If I do that, the amount of bottles to clean won't change, so it would work out just fine. 

Thanks to everyone who didn't bash my decision and those who said they respect my honesty.  I'm glad I'm in this group because you're all very helpful and positive and supportive. 

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sleepymommy87
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM
3 moms liked this
Well, personally I think if you've made it this far why not just wait til a year so you don't have to give formula, but that's just me. It's only four more months, you've made it to eight, and it's one small sacrifice of your life to give her what's best for the rest of hers. They only pros are going to be for you and you alone. There are absolutely no pros for her whatsoever only cons. I am a full time student and my dd is 9 months old and ebf. It is hard, I have no life right now, but I know it won't be forever. I have no problem sacrificing for her to have the best. Just my two cents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WhitleyLyles
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM
6 moms liked this
no advice. This is sad though. sounds pretty selfish honestly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WhitleyLyles
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this
and can you imagine how gross the formula is going to taste to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Beans
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KMadsen
by Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, selfish is my thought as well. I also have no advice for you, op.

Quoting WhitleyLyles:

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live it's whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

ceckyl
by Kyla on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess just give her the same amount. 5 oz is a pretty big bottle to begin with, so i wouldnt increase it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
When weaning, you drop one feeding per week, replacing it with formula. Her bottles were already too big (she was only supposed to be getting 1-1.25oz per hour in bottles no larger than 3oz.)
I'm not very knowledgeable about formula amounts, so I can't help you there. If you are dead set in your decision, congrats on making it as long as you did. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RadnRem
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:18 PM
3 moms liked this
First, I want to say that making it to 8 months is great! I agree, that you are very close to the 1 yr mark and 4 more months isn't that far off. But I don't think you are horrible/selfish for wanting to be done.
I would stick with it, because I wouldn't want all the tummy problems for my baby that formula brings on. And it really is wretched smelling. I can only imagine the taste. And this is coming from someone that mostly ff her first 2 kids! I wouldn't touch the stuff again unless my or babies life depended on it.....and donor milk was unavailable.

But, to your actual question. My older 2 that were mostly ff never had more than 4-5 oz in a bottle. I know most people do, but ff or bf....anymore than that is just too much imo. And baby probably has had their tummy stretched if the are used to 8-12 oz bottles. How long are you gone for work? I would think the same amount you are sending now would be fine, if you decide to make the switch.

I want to say, that I think continuing to bf would be best tho. But it is your decision. Are you mainly just tired of pumping while at work? Maybe a happy medium is to ff at daycare, but bf while together. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I would continue as you have been.  5 oz is a pretty big bottle, so no need to increase.  As you are weaning, I'd start with dropping one pump session per week at work and send formula in the place of that missing breastmilk.  After that, drop one nursing session per week at home, leaving the night one for last.  Congratulations on making it to 8 months.

hottamolly00
by Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Yep  And I'm the first to admit it.  I'll go ahead and respond to your other comment. She's currently being combo fed. She gets 1 bottle of formula per day, since I've already dropped 2 pumping sessions per day.  She likes it just fine. 

Quoting WhitleyLyles:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)