Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How many ounces per bottle if switching to formula. ON topic. Thanks. *EDIT*

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, my daughter is 8 months and is able to feed herself bottles now.  I'm ready to wean from nursing and pumping.   I'm not going to give any lame excuses on why I'm doing it.  The truth is, I want my life back.  Yes, I know I will be washing more bottles than ever, yada, yada, yada. I've already weighed the pros and cons, but feel free to provide your suggestions if you think I'm making a mistake.

Here's my question.  Since she is in day care while I'm at work, I need to know how many ounces to provide. With pumped milk, I would send three 5oz bottles.  Should I be sending less, but bigger bottles with the formula?  I am so confused on how to transition.  Thanks, y'all! 

EDIT:  I should've been more specific when I said I want my life back.  That did sound selfish, and I didn't mean it that way.  I just want to get away from the pump.  I hate it.  I LOVE BFing.  I think the suggestions to move to FF and solids during the day and BFing mornings, nights, and weekends is great.  It sounds like I should be able to do that successfully without ruining my supply for those feedings.  If that's the case, I'm totally on board.  If I do that, the amount of bottles to clean won't change, so it would work out just fine. 

Thanks to everyone who didn't bash my decision and those who said they respect my honesty.  I'm glad I'm in this group because you're all very helpful and positive and supportive. 

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Replies (21-30):
RadnRem
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Ehh, tell them to buzz off.

Your baby, your rules.

Just because you pay them to watch your baby....does not entitle them to make any decisions. Especially on the aspect of feeding/bottle size.

And I still stand by not giving bottles bigger than 5 oz. It was rare that my boys even finished that much milk. Don't get her accustomed to any bigger ones.

Quoting hottamolly00:

Thanks for the kind words.  I think I did pretty good, too.  Considering how many moms don't even try, or give up before giving it a chance, and the horrible case of mastitis I had when she was 6 weeks old, I think I deserve a pat on the back.

As for the suggestion to combo feeding.  I've been doing a variation of that for the past month or so. I dropped 1 work pumping session and my before bed session, so now she gets 1 bottle of formula (5oz) with her 2 other BM bottles.  I should've said that in the original post.  I forgot.  So, yeah.. she likes Enfamil, hated Gerber Good Starts. 

I just know my day care, and they're going to think she needs 8 oz plus per bottle, which just seems crazy since she's been BF this whole time.

Quoting RadnRem:

First, I want to say that making it to 8 months is great! I agree, that you are very close to the 1 yr mark and 4 more months isn't that far off. But I don't think you are horrible/selfish for wanting to be done.
I would stick with it, because I wouldn't want all the tummy problems for my baby that formula brings on. And it really is wretched smelling. I can only imagine the taste. And this is coming from someone that mostly ff her first 2 kids! I wouldn't touch the stuff again unless my or babies life depended on it.....and donor milk was unavailable.

But, to your actual question. My older 2 that were mostly ff never had more than 4-5 oz in a bottle. I know most people do, but ff or bf....anymore than that is just too much imo. And baby probably has had their tummy stretched if the are used to 8-12 oz bottles. How long are you gone for work? I would think the same amount you are sending now would be fine, if you decide to make the switch.

I want to say, that I think continuing to bf would be best tho. But it is your decision. Are you mainly just tired of pumping while at work? Maybe a happy medium is to ff at daycare, but bf while together. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AMR320
by Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Formula should be mixed in even number of ounces since one scoop makes 2 oz. It is not reccomended to eyeball half a scoop. I would do 6 oz bottles of formula. My oldest was FF and I worked in the infant room of a daycare for a couple years. Most 8 month olds drink 6-8 oz bottles of formula. Try searching for amount of formula needed in a day and divide by # of feedings. It may need to be adjusted but it will at least give you a starting point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jstoddard98
by Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow some of the moms on here are total b*tches!  Instead of saying hey that's awesome that you bf for 8 months they shoot you down for deciding to stop and call you selfish.  Good for you for doing it for 8 months!!!  I nursed and pumped for 9 months and it was a lot of work so I totally know where you are coming from!  For me I had to decide whether my time was better spent pumping for only the few ounces of bm I was getting - or totally switch to formula and spend that time that I had been using for pumping to be with my daughter.  I chose to spend time with my daughter.  As for how much formula I'm not really sure - my dd would take 6-8 ounces per feeding of formula,  Maybe start with 5 and send a little extra just in case.  

Jstoddard98
by Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM

My baby got breastmilk and formula - she LOVED them both!  She didn't care as long as her tummy was full.

Quoting WhitleyLyles:

and can you imagine how gross the formula is going to taste to her.

mama02040608
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM
4 moms liked this
Truthfully, I don't understand how changing how you feed, especially this late in the game is going to 'free you up' any more. Babies should be held to be fed regardless of how they're getting that nutrition. So her being able to hold her bottle is irrelevant, IMO.

I do salute you for making it 8mo, but why stop now? This is such a tiny part of your life, and it could be over in 4mo, no regrets, no problems AND you will have saved yourself the expense of 4mo of full formula. Just suck it up for your baby. I never regretted going the full year or more with 3 of my kids, but I do regret quitting at 9mo with my DD. To. This. Day. And she's 7.

As to the bottles, intake is roughly the same for BF or FF, so stick with what you've been sending.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 25, 2012 at 4:17 PM

This is true, but I mixed up a full day's worth in the morning with my older ds and then just poured out the exact amounts I needed into bottles so they were ready to grab and warm as needed.  He typically took 4-5 oz at a feeding until we switched to cow's milk.  Baby's tummy is the same size no matter what is going into it unless it is stretched by the caregiver overfeeding.

Quoting AMR320:

Formula should be mixed in even number of ounces since one scoop makes 2 oz. It is not reccomended to eyeball half a scoop. I would do 6 oz bottles of formula. My oldest was FF and I worked in the infant room of a daycare for a couple years. Most 8 month olds drink 6-8 oz bottles of formula. Try searching for amount of formula needed in a day and divide by # of feedings. It may need to be adjusted but it will at least give you a starting point.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Molly, you're overthinking it. Every formula company provides "how much" guidelines on their websites adn on the cans.

Good job on eight months.

crissydancer05
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 5:37 PM
dont listen to the bashers, its your life. Good for you for making it this far. Im not a pro, but your daycare should be able to make the formyla on site. Cuz either it needs to be refridgerated right away or used within an hour of being made. And i wouldnt go any less. Around 9 months is usually a growth spurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 25, 2012 at 6:46 PM

My personal recommendation...just direction replace each bottle, because honestly unless you work a 15 hour day that was too much in each bottle ANYWAYS..just replace with formula directly.  Formula total needs in a day are 24-32 ounces.  So 6 5 oz bottles a day would work fine. 

Consider just weaning from pumping and just nurse when together, you supply should maintain itself just fine and it wouldnt take much on your part, if supply goes down then dont stress and up it, just go with the flow.  Every ounce counts!!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 25, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Formula can be premade, if baby drinks from it it must be used in an hour

Quoting crissydancer05:

dont listen to the bashers, its your life. Good for you for making it this far. Im not a pro, but your daycare should be able to make the formyla on site. Cuz either it needs to be refridgerated right away or used within an hour of being made. And i wouldnt go any less. Around 9 months is usually a growth spurt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)