Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How many ounces per bottle if switching to formula. ON topic. Thanks. *EDIT*

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, my daughter is 8 months and is able to feed herself bottles now.  I'm ready to wean from nursing and pumping.   I'm not going to give any lame excuses on why I'm doing it.  The truth is, I want my life back.  Yes, I know I will be washing more bottles than ever, yada, yada, yada. I've already weighed the pros and cons, but feel free to provide your suggestions if you think I'm making a mistake.

Here's my question.  Since she is in day care while I'm at work, I need to know how many ounces to provide. With pumped milk, I would send three 5oz bottles.  Should I be sending less, but bigger bottles with the formula?  I am so confused on how to transition.  Thanks, y'all! 

EDIT:  I should've been more specific when I said I want my life back.  That did sound selfish, and I didn't mean it that way.  I just want to get away from the pump.  I hate it.  I LOVE BFing.  I think the suggestions to move to FF and solids during the day and BFing mornings, nights, and weekends is great.  It sounds like I should be able to do that successfully without ruining my supply for those feedings.  If that's the case, I'm totally on board.  If I do that, the amount of bottles to clean won't change, so it would work out just fine. 

Thanks to everyone who didn't bash my decision and those who said they respect my honesty.  I'm glad I'm in this group because you're all very helpful and positive and supportive. 

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Replies (41-50):
Nunyabusiness
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:52 AM
I get it. I don't like breast feeding and I stick it out to the year mark but not without wanting to quit a few times. I don't have a lot of experience of switching, ds was ff and I don't remember what he ate at 8months. I bf'd dd1 and never switched.
crissydancer05
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM
that stuff is usually recalled. Yea i know, dont wanna take the chance. Then simply bf. Anyway, my ds will be off it within weeks so im good.

Quoting K8wizzo:

It's not the water that's the issue most of the time--powdered formula is not sterile and several infants died last year (in the US!)from a bacteria that it harbors.

Quoting crissydancer05:

Boil the water first? theres no need unless you live in like africa or something. Tap water is perfectly fine and recommended. I let my daycare make their own bottles and she dont care. Although he is almost done with it now.

Quoting K8wizzo:

She can send it premade.  I doubt that most daycares will take the time to boil the water before adding the powder to the 200+ degree water and then allow it to cool for each and every bottle the way that they should.

Quoting crissydancer05:

dont listen to the bashers, its your life. Good for you for making it this far. Im not a pro, but your daycare should be able to make the formyla on site. Cuz either it needs to be refridgerated right away or used within an hour of being made. And i wouldnt go any less. Around 9 months is usually a growth spurt.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Life back???
Did ur baby ask to be born?
Congratulations on 8 months. You should be proud. Now before u artificially fed ur lo garbage ....just think how fast 8 mo went by...what's a few more?
If u think ur life will EVER be how it was pre baby think again

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamamama00
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

There are some websites and Facebook forums that might be able to help you a lot more than this group! Try Googling Bottle Babies or Fearless Formula Feeder. They can give you some good answers, and WONT bully or harrass you! :)

VuylGirls
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:48 AM
How much does she weigh? There is a formula to figure out how much she should take in. Is she eating solids....how much and how many times a day?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KnikkaP
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:03 AM
4 moms liked this

You know, I honestly prefer straight up truth to some of the ridiculous excuses I hear. If you don't want to breastfeed, own it... I'm so sick of people skirting the issue... mostly because they don't want to be called selfish, but instead they just get called stupid. If you don't want to, don't... thanks for being honest. The only mistake I'd say you're making is the money you'll be wasting by not waiting until she's 1, you're pretty darn close and at one you won't have to worry about formula at all.

ria7
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow don't let people say you are selfish! 8 months is good. Pumping at work is really hard. I have no advice just wanted to say something positive in light of the negative remarks I have seen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Heh heh. It's going to be replaced with something else that's really pointless. Like housework. **grin**

2 hours? Why two hours? If you're pumping 8-10 times a day I can see that. But 10-15 minutes per session is plenty of time; more really is a waste of your time and I can see why you'd be itching to get away.. Remember... Bottle is famine and it's OK to short the bottles at this point. Baby's old enough to get more solids when you're away. Pump for time, not for amounts.

I dumped pumping entirely at one year. Still went to 26 months when at home. Supply forever adjusts. 

Quoting hottamolly00:

Haha, thanks. I love my new life as a mommy. I would just like those extra 1-2 hours per day backt that I would otherswise be spent pumping.

quote name="gdiamante" id="0"]

Molly... just one other ought since this is your first child, per the profile?

You NEVER get your life back. **grin** Still looking for mine, 11 years past weaning! New challenges come in to replace the old ones. (I'll take nursing over puberty and middle school homework... ANY day!)

[/quote]

momoftatertots
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM
My first was a formula only baby and could never take more than 5oz per feed. I think he had 5oz every 4-5 hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHourglass
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I really honestly think you dont understand how much more time consuming bottles are, you aren't going to have your life back, if anything it is only going to get worse! trust me! you will be so exhausted and your whole day and night will just be washing bottles..and forget sleep, waking in the middle of the night to made a bottle?! EXHAUSTING! also, you're a mom now, so there is no getting your life back no matter how you feed her lol

Babywearing, Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Attachment parenting, Anti-CIO, Crunchy Mama of one beautiful baby boy, Rhythm. <3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN