Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How many ounces per bottle if switching to formula. ON topic. Thanks. *EDIT*

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, my daughter is 8 months and is able to feed herself bottles now.  I'm ready to wean from nursing and pumping.   I'm not going to give any lame excuses on why I'm doing it.  The truth is, I want my life back.  Yes, I know I will be washing more bottles than ever, yada, yada, yada. I've already weighed the pros and cons, but feel free to provide your suggestions if you think I'm making a mistake.

Here's my question.  Since she is in day care while I'm at work, I need to know how many ounces to provide. With pumped milk, I would send three 5oz bottles.  Should I be sending less, but bigger bottles with the formula?  I am so confused on how to transition.  Thanks, y'all! 

EDIT:  I should've been more specific when I said I want my life back.  That did sound selfish, and I didn't mean it that way.  I just want to get away from the pump.  I hate it.  I LOVE BFing.  I think the suggestions to move to FF and solids during the day and BFing mornings, nights, and weekends is great.  It sounds like I should be able to do that successfully without ruining my supply for those feedings.  If that's the case, I'm totally on board.  If I do that, the amount of bottles to clean won't change, so it would work out just fine. 

Thanks to everyone who didn't bash my decision and those who said they respect my honesty.  I'm glad I'm in this group because you're all very helpful and positive and supportive. 

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Replies (51-60):
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes, boiling the water first. Download the WHO powdered formula guidelines. It goes over proper powdered formula guidelines for both home use and day care use. I read it a few weeks ago. It's very thorough and informative. All formula using mom's should read it. Your kids are worth doing it right. :) All kids are.

Quoting crissydancer05:

Boil the water first? theres no need unless you live in like africa or something. Tap water is perfectly fine and recommended. I let my daycare make their own bottles and she dont care. Although he is almost done with it now.

Quoting K8wizzo:

She can send it premade.  I doubt that most daycares will take the time to boil the water before adding the powder to the 200+ degree water and then allow it to cool for each and every bottle the way that they should.

Quoting crissydancer05:

dont listen to the bashers, its your life. Good for you for making it this far. Im not a pro, but your daycare should be able to make the formyla on site. Cuz either it needs to be refridgerated right away or used within an hour of being made. And i wouldnt go any less. Around 9 months is usually a growth spurt.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jamamama00
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Really?! You wouldn't just throw the bottles in the dishwasher w/ the rest of your dishes every night? And why would she be waking in the middle of the night to make bottles? It's an eight month old, not an infant....

Quoting LucyHourglass:

I really honestly think you dont understand how much more time consuming bottles are, you aren't going to have your life back, if anything it is only going to get worse! trust me! you will be so exhausted and your whole day and night will just be washing bottles..and forget sleep, waking in the middle of the night to made a bottle?! EXHAUSTING! also, you're a mom now, so there is no getting your life back no matter how you feed her lol

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:01 AM
2 moms liked this
But how many babies have to be unnecessarily sick and put at risk for a recall to take place? Too many.

How many mothers/fathers/care providers don't report issues so they formula companies will respond quicker? How many don't even know to report formula related illness? Too many.

If proper preparation techniques were followed to begin with those children wouldn't have to suffer. Those children are worth the "extra" effort. Those children are worth protecting too. All children are. That's why following the proper guidelines is best practice advice.

Quoting crissydancer05:

that stuff is usually recalled. Yea i know, dont wanna take the chance. Then simply bf. Anyway, my ds will be off it within weeks so im good.

Quoting K8wizzo:

It's not the water that's the issue most of the time--powdered formula is not sterile and several infants died last year (in the US!)from a bacteria that it harbors.

Quoting crissydancer05:

Boil the water first? theres no need unless you live in like africa or something. Tap water is perfectly fine and recommended. I let my daycare make their own bottles and she dont care. Although he is almost done with it now.

Quoting K8wizzo:

She can send it premade.  I doubt that most daycares will take the time to boil the water before adding the powder to the 200+ degree water and then allow it to cool for each and every bottle the way that they should.

Quoting crissydancer05:

dont listen to the bashers, its your life. Good for you for making it this far. Im not a pro, but your daycare should be able to make the formyla on site. Cuz either it needs to be refridgerated right away or used within an hour of being made. And i wouldnt go any less. Around 9 months is usually a growth spurt.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
An 8 month old is an infant....
And it's not uncommon for infants to wake at night for feedings until over a year, and for toddlers and preschoolers to not sleep through the night. That's normal.

Quoting jamamama00:

Really?! You wouldn't just throw the bottles in the dishwasher w/ the rest of your dishes every night? And why would she be waking in the middle of the night to make bottles? It's an eight month old, not an infant....

Quoting LucyHourglass:

I really honestly think you dont understand how much more time consuming bottles are, you aren't going to have your life back, if anything it is only going to get worse! trust me! you will be so exhausted and your whole day and night will just be washing bottles..and forget sleep, waking in the middle of the night to made a bottle?! EXHAUSTING! also, you're a mom now, so there is no getting your life back no matter how you feed her lol

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM
OP: I have never used formula for my own children so I know nothing of that. The few times I made a bottle for my niece I used the World Health Organization's guidelines. She was under 4 months so she only got a single 2 oz bottle during the short periods I had her.

I would check the AAP for how much formula how often. I do believe there is a formula based on the weight of the child and a stipulation that children shouldn't receive more than 36oz of formula per day.
Great job making it 8 months!! And THANK YOU for not perpetuating a myth! Thank you for being honest! You are allowed to not want to. I can't say I'd do the same, because I wouldn't but you can! Good luck!
I do agree with G!! Life as a mom rarely has free time. As I type this I'm waiting for the oatmeal to cook for my kiddos. ;) We find time no matter what. I don't think how/what you feed has a lot to do with that, you're still a mom with a baby to feed. :)
jamamama00
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Well then, to say, "You will be up all day and night washing bottles" is a bit of an overstatement, don't you think?!

Quoting MaryJarrett:

And it's not uncommon for infants to wake at night for feedings until over a year, and for toddlers and preschoolers to not sleep through the night. That's normal.

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Yeah, probably, although I can't speak from experience. But it's not likely that an 8 month old will sleep through the night, so a bottle or two would likely be needed. I would assume that it's OK to wash bottles in the dishwasher? I'm not sure. I did boil mine nightly.
DD1 got two bottles in her life, and DD2 never had any. I did pump into bottles but she got a sippy from 4 months. I hand washed in the sink after each session. I only had 2-8oz bottles and 2-10oz bottles because that is what I pumped. 20-25 oz in the morning, 10-15 during work.
I don't see someone washing at night but it would make sense to have to make a bottle or two at night, which is quite a task if done following proper protocol.

Quoting jamamama00:

Well then, to say, "You will be up all day and night washing bottles" is a bit of an overstatement, don't you think?!

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

moroccanmommy
by Robin on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:38 AM
My daughter wakes up several times to eat and she's 13 months

Quoting jamamama00:

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Even if you put them in the dishwasher, you'll likely want to rinse them off first so you don't get any milk residue stuck on the bottom. I got in the habit with my bottles because the times I didn't rinse 'em in the sink, the stuff didn't wash out in the dishwasher and it congealed on the bottles! Wound up being twice as much work.

Quoting jamamama00:

jamamama00
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I guess I just have a really good dishwasher:/

Quoting gdiamante:

Even if you put them in the dishwasher, you'll likely want to rinse them off first so you don't get any milk residue stuck on the bottom. I got in the habit with my bottles because the times I didn't rinse 'em in the sink, the stuff didn't wash out in the dishwasher and it congealed on the bottles! Wound up being twice as much work.

Quoting jamamama00:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)