Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How many ounces per bottle if switching to formula. ON topic. Thanks. *EDIT*

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, my daughter is 8 months and is able to feed herself bottles now.  I'm ready to wean from nursing and pumping.   I'm not going to give any lame excuses on why I'm doing it.  The truth is, I want my life back.  Yes, I know I will be washing more bottles than ever, yada, yada, yada. I've already weighed the pros and cons, but feel free to provide your suggestions if you think I'm making a mistake.

Here's my question.  Since she is in day care while I'm at work, I need to know how many ounces to provide. With pumped milk, I would send three 5oz bottles.  Should I be sending less, but bigger bottles with the formula?  I am so confused on how to transition.  Thanks, y'all! 

EDIT:  I should've been more specific when I said I want my life back.  That did sound selfish, and I didn't mean it that way.  I just want to get away from the pump.  I hate it.  I LOVE BFing.  I think the suggestions to move to FF and solids during the day and BFing mornings, nights, and weekends is great.  It sounds like I should be able to do that successfully without ruining my supply for those feedings.  If that's the case, I'm totally on board.  If I do that, the amount of bottles to clean won't change, so it would work out just fine. 

Thanks to everyone who didn't bash my decision and those who said they respect my honesty.  I'm glad I'm in this group because you're all very helpful and positive and supportive. 

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Replies (81-87):
AHoleman
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Bottles are certainly not more work..at least not for me. I prep all of them for the next day the night before just before I go to bed. So they all ready to go anytime I need them. She wakes once sometimes twice at night to eat at 8 months and again it's already made. I don't stand in my kitchen in the middle of the night all night making and washing bottles. That is just a rediculous assumption. I wash bottles once a day in the evening all at once. I use a soap meant for bottles and have never had any film issues. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Nothing WORTH doing is easy. If we all truly wanted easy, we'd own virtual goldfish, right?

But we all have to make things work for ourselves. We all know the tyranny of the pump and I've never met a woman who actually LIKED being subjected to it. So I can't blame you for wanting to kick it to the curb. Most of us here do that with great glee at the one year mark.

raehalstead
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Im sorry how some of these ladies on here are responding. Sorry for their rudeness. Honestly it is up to you. Its your body and i personally don't think wanting your life back is a problem. Congrats for making it to 8months, most moms don't make it that far. So congrats. As for the formula I remember my children eating about 5-6oz everytime they ate. Just make a 6oz bottle and see how much your child eats and base it off that. Just like nursing when the baby is full they will stop nursing. So when baby is full. Good luck

soulofsunmama
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM
fire that doctor quick !
Quoting jamamama00:

She probably wouldn't do that w/ formula. BF babies eat WAY more often...mine did, anyway. All three of my children slept through the night by six months. Our pediatrician says there is absolutely no nutritional need for a child over six months to eat at night...

Quoting moroccanmommy:

My daughter wakes up several times to eat and she's 13 months

Quoting jamamama00:

Really?! You wouldn't just throw the bottles in the dishwasher w/ the rest of your dishes every night? And why would she be waking in the middle of the night to make bottles? It's an eight month old, not an infant....

Quoting LucyHourglass:

I really honestly think you dont understand how much more time consuming bottles are, you aren't going to have your life back, if anything it is only going to get worse! trust me! you will be so exhausted and your whole day and night will just be washing bottles..and forget sleep, waking in the middle of the night to made a bottle?! EXHAUSTING! also, you're a mom now, so there is no getting your life back no matter how you feed her lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:49 PM
I am so glad you are thinking of both. So many moms think it is all or nothing. They don't realize that both can coexist.

Good luck mom. I ep'd. It is tough.

Quoting hottamolly00:

Well, my daughter is 8 months and is able to feed herself bottles now.  I'm ready to wean from nursing and pumping.   I'm not going to give any lame excuses on why I'm doing it.  The truth is, I want my life back.  Yes, I know I will be washing more bottles than ever, yada, yada, yada. I've already weighed the pros and cons, but feel free to provide your suggestions if you think I'm making a mistake.

Here's my question.  Since she is in day care while I'm at work, I need to know how many ounces to provide. With pumped milk, I would send three 5oz bottles.  Should I be sending less, but bigger bottles with the formula?  I am so confused on how to transition.  Thanks, y'all! 

EDIT:  I should've been more specific when I said I want my life back.  That did sound selfish, and I didn't mean it that way.  I just want to get away from the pump.  I hate it.  I LOVE BFing.  I think the suggestions to move to FF and solids during the day and BFing mornings, nights, and weekends is great.  It sounds like I should be able to do that successfully without ruining my supply for those feedings.  If that's the case, I'm totally on board.  If I do that, the amount of bottles to clean won't change, so it would work out just fine. 

Thanks to everyone who didn't bash my decision and those who said they respect my honesty.  I'm glad I'm in this group because you're all very helpful and positive and supportive. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:51 PM
They won't necessarily know better, they are doctors, NOT nutritionists.

Quoting Honeybee1981:

No judgments from me. Just ask your doctor, they will know best based of her weight and age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I agree here. I don't agree with the reasoning, but at least it's not someone making an excuse and helping to push myths forward.

Quoting KnikkaP:

You know, I honestly prefer straight up truth to some of the ridiculous excuses I hear. If you don't want to breastfeed, own it... I'm so sick of people skirting the issue... mostly because they don't want to be called selfish, but instead they just get called stupid. If you don't want to, don't... thanks for being honest. The only mistake I'd say you're making is the money you'll be wasting by not waiting until she's 1, you're pretty darn close and at one you won't have to worry about formula at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN