Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

help now please!

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:21 AM
  • 31 Replies
Today was Ds2 5 day check up. He has lost 9.5% of birth weight. I have to go back in tomorrow. They are having me supplement with formula for 24 hours. ack! he is a sleepy baby, and I realized that I have been making some mistakes. I nursed my 16 month old through the pregnancy and had massive oversupply when he was ebf. So now I have been doing 12 hour block feedings and let Ds2 feed on demand and as per the lc ok let baby sleep 4/5 hours at night before waking him to eat. Damn it I feel horrible! we have another weight check tomorrow plus a consultation with another lc and I did a pump test my milk is no where near being oversupply. Its actually on the low side. Advice? I have my alarm set for every hour and a half switching breasts each feeding and one feeding breast one formula. Help me kick this formula to the curb ladies and get baby totally back on the boob!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:27 AM
Did you have fluids during birth?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MollyJmommy
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:29 AM
Have you tried just spending the day in bed with baby and letting him nurse whenever? I never timed nursing sessions and I always changed my dd's diaper after she would pop off the first side. It help wake her up a little and get her hungry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadsmummy
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:44 AM
Yes a non stop IV pit because I was induced and 3 attempts at the epidural the third took and that was after an injection of pain meds given into the spine to make me more comfortable. At the hospital they brought him in to eat every 3 hours also.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

JasonsMom2007
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:44 AM
Then his birth weight was inflated from all of the fluids

Quoting jadsmummy:

Yes a non stop IV pit because I was induced and 3 attempts at the epidural the third took and that was after an injection of pain meds given into the spine to make me more comfortable. At the hospital they brought him in to eat every 3 hours also.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadsmummy
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM
That's all I have done since Monday because I am still recovering.

Quoting MollyJmommy:

Have you tried just spending the day in bed with baby and letting him nurse whenever? I never timed nursing sessions and I always changed my dd's diaper after she would pop off the first side. It help wake her up a little and get her hungry.

jadsmummy
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM
What should I do going forward?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

JasonsMom2007
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Personally I wouldn't do the formula. Just nurse a ton. My son lost 12% but he was an emergency c section so I had fluids too.

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadsmummy
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:50 AM
I hate formula but agreed to give it 24 hours because he has a strong such and latch. I have noticed he is eating every 30/40 min now and is only taking one ounce. When he nurses he only vigorously nurses for 10 mins.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Personally I wouldn't do the formula. Just nurse a ton. My son lost 12% but he was an emergency c section so I had fluids too.

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 26, 2012 at 2:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jadsmummy:

Today was Ds2 5 day check up. He has lost 9.5% of birth weight.
Good. He gets to lose another half a percentage point if he was a vaginal birth. 2 1/1 percent more if he was a c-section. That's normal loss.
I have to go back in tomorrow. They are having me supplement with formula for 24 hours.
No need. Ignore "them." And frankly, DON'T GO BACK. Baby is expected to lose 10-12% of birth weight by the end of week one and to regain a mere four pounces by the end of week two.
ack! he is a sleepy baby, and I realized that I have been making some mistakes. I nursed my 16 month old through the pregnancy and had massive oversupply when he was ebf. So now I have been doing 12 hour block feedings and let Ds2 feed on demand and as per the lc ok let baby sleep 4/5 hours at night before waking him to eat. Damn it I feel horrible! we have another weight check tomorrow plus a consultation with another lc and I did a pump test my milk is no where near being oversupply. Its actually on the low side. Advice? I have my alarm set for every hour and a half switching breasts each feeding and one feeding breast one formula. Help me kick this formula to the curb ladies and get baby totally back on the boob!

Just go flush it. Nothing's wrong. You don't need to change anything you were doing. You were perfect.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 26, 2012 at 2:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Just finished reading. Lots of fluids also counts toward 12% expected loss. NO FORMULA. And fire the doc. 

Flush the formula. Change NOTHING from what you were doing. It was fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN