Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Solids...again

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM
  • 16 Replies
When did you stop cooking the baby food separately? Dd los 10 months. She is starting to prefer chunks over puréed. I cooked her a whole chicken in crock with water and veggies to make broth. When would you start serving her dinner with say shake n bake on it or onion soup mix etc that the rest of the family is eating?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM
2 moms liked this

NEVER cooked baby food separately. We started with the premise that he ate what we ate. And didn't use purees. 

The concern about what the rest of the family is eating is the same for baby as it is for everyone else: salt content. And the potential hazard of too much salt is a risk that all of us carry from birth to the grave. So that's really what you have to weigh. Technically neither Shake 'n' Bake nor the onion soup is good for any of you.

mollysmom328
by Stephanie on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I never cooked her seperate foods and never pureed foods for her.  She always ate what we ate but I don't use shake n bake etc.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Quoting mollysmom328:

I never cooked her seperate foods and never pureed foods for her.  She always ate what we ate but I don't use shake n bake etc.

ditto.My first didn't really gt solids until he as 11 or 12 month, same with my second, but my third had them earlier at around 10 months old.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
ria7
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM
She is getting solids but I may make a roast and put broth on it with sodium or a pkg of onion soup mix. Or jar spaghetti sauce on wheat noodles for us etc. I cooked her barley with carrots and celery but no salt. Even though we eat fairly healthy I guess I'm just not ready to give it to her yet but im thinking she's almost ready for it..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ria7
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM
I started her on solids but she couldn't digest them well. She gets cubes of cooked carrots, avocado sweet potato, lentils but eats fruit in purée form. I gave her whole barley but she wouldn't eat it. I puréed it and she ate it. Now she gets diaper rash and she never had it before solids?? Why is that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this
If she couldn't digest them, she shouldn't be getting any at all. Purée makes it no easier to digest.

Quoting ria7:

I started her on solids but she couldn't digest them well. She gets cubes of cooked carrots, avocado sweet potato, lentils but eats fruit in purée form. I gave her whole barley but she wouldn't eat it. I puréed it and she ate it. Now she gets diaper rash and she never had it before solids?? Why is that?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ria7
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Well she is on solids fine now. I see what you are saying and she did digest but she was fussier at night. I think because I couldn't try food until about 6 or. 7 pm when I got home from work. Now she can have solids or purée but I have to have all food prepared for babysitter so it's easier to freeze in ice cube trays. She has about half pureed food and half solids now and is starting to prefer solids.

Quoting ceckyl:

If she couldn't digest them, she shouldn't be getting any at all. Purée makes it no easier to digest.

Quoting ria7:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM

We never did purees. We always just feed them what we were having. My 9 month old at grilled chicken and vegtables with us last night and loved them! We are always careful with spices and don't use much salt anyway.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I never cooked it separately, he ate generally what we ate fromt he start, we never did purees...now the additives like shake and bake I think he was about 9 months when we used spices

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM
I think what she's trying to ask is when can baby have spices as opposed to bland foods

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting ria7:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)