Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
When did you stop cooking the baby food separately? Dd los 10 months. She is starting to prefer chunks over puréed. I cooked her a whole chicken in crock with water and veggies to make broth. When would you start serving her dinner with say shake n bake on it or onion soup mix etc that the rest of the family is eating?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Replies (11-16):
eema.gray
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Any time.  My oldest refused unseasoned food.  :-)  His sister was somewhat more flexible in that department but basically, I cook, I remove some from my plate to the baby's plate, and they eat.  In theory anyway.  This morning, my baby "ate" sweet potato porrage flavored with coconut milk, nutmeg, and cinamon, which is to say that she smeared it all over her sleeper, dropped it on the floor, rubbed it in her hair, and put her messy fingers in her mouth.  Perhaps she actually ate 1 or 2 teaspoons, LOL.

OP, if your baby got a diaper rash within a day of eating pureed barely, I would consider that to be an indication that she shouldn't be eating grains yet (or at all).

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I think what she's trying to ask is when can baby have spices as opposed to bland foods

Quoting ceckyl:

If she couldn't digest them, she shouldn't be getting any at all. Purée makes it no easier to digest.

Quoting ria7:

I started her on solids but she couldn't digest them well. She gets cubes of cooked carrots, avocado sweet potato, lentils but eats fruit in purée form. I gave her whole barley but she wouldn't eat it. I puréed it and she ate it. Now she gets diaper rash and she never had it before solids?? Why is that?

Are you a political "independent?"  Tired of feeling like you only have Democrats or Republicans to choose from?  Well, there are many small parties active all across the United States.  Learn more at Third Party Americans.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109790

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Baby could have had spices from day one of solids. No hot stuff, though! Indeed, many babies in other parts of the world are raised on things we'd consider very spicy. Mine was on pasta sauce at about seven months. With meatballs!

The reactions you saw were more likely to general unreadiness. And possibly baby was fed too close to bedtime. Solids tend to discombobulate the infant digestive system at first, disrupting sleep.

Endo.girl
by Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:31 PM
My neice ate chilli at 6 months and i make mine pretty spicy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:22 PM
My DD was eating spicy chicken enchiladas at 7 months, it was her favorite!
It is fine to let baby eat whet you're eating, including shake and bake and onion soup mix.
ivilayla
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:24 PM
My daughter is 10 months and pretty much eats whatever we eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I've never done anything separately, but I've also forced myself to eat healthier.  Shake 'n bake and onion soup mix are extremely high in sodium, and although my pre-baby self didn't think anything of it, I have learned to be more creative in my cooking.  (Hope that helps!!)

The only major change has been dropping the honey from my teriyaki recipe.  Which was very easily replaced with brown sugar.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)