Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Blood in bowl movement

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM
  • 6 Replies
A friend of mine is in a bit of a situation. She just moved out of state and has a 4 month old dd that is ebf. Her dd has just started having a tiny bit of blood in her stool. It is not in every stool but she is naturally concerned. She does not have a dr yet and can only take her to urgent care.
I told her that, from my experience, blood could be a dairy sensativity but I am not sure it would take 4 months to show up.
Does anyone have an idea of what else it could be? Should I tell her to go ahead and take her to urgent care?

Just so everyone knows, her weight is deffinatly AMAZING! She was 5 lbs. 12 oz at birth and is over 12 lbs. now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
My first thoughts are also dairy sensitivity. Sometimes a small rectal tear can cause some bright red streaks, but before solids it's more likely a sensitivity to dairy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:09 PM
The baby may have had traces of blood that weren't visible before and its now more obvious.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cl1998
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I agree, i was thinking a sensitivity to something.....dairy would be my first thought.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Have her test for a dairy sensitivity. Then bring it up at their next app when they find a doc
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:18 PM
The most likely cause is dairy sensitivity. Another possible cause is a small fissure in the anus that is bleeding.

If it is dairy there are usually other symptoms, often skin issues like rashes or eczema. Also fussiness, low weight gain, spit up, green mucousy poops.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Another possible cause is oversupply.  The excess lactose that baby gets because she is getting so much foremilk can irritate the lining of the intestine, causing some bleeding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN